Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Iridium Flares.

ronin

Not seen any mention of this here but it seems we have only a limited time to observe Iridium Flares. :eek:

The new Iridium satellites are different design and no flares. When the present ones are decommisioned there will ne no more. :(

One thing the new satellites will not be capable of doing, however, is producing Iridium "flares". These are the flashes in the sky that result when sunlight glints off the antennas of the old spacecraft.

The new satellites do not have the same configuration, so once the original constellation is de-orbited the flashes will cease.

About half way down this BBC page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38613275

Shame as I like them, nice and easy to find, suppose it may stop people saying they have seen an exploding star or a UFO.

Make the most of the remaining time.

Hi Ronin,thanks for this.They always seem to spoil our fun. These have been spectacular to say the least.Especially when predicted.The first time I saw one was by chance.I had to contain myself to not beleive that it was a ufo.Well it was a ufo until I found out what they were.

Another link to this story;

<http://spaceflightnow.com/2017/01/14/skywatchers-get-your-iridium-flare-fix-now/>

I doubt they'll just stop flaring after they're no longer transmitting data, etc.

I'f you want to know when, where, how any (non-classified) satellite is, Previsat is my favorite program for satellite-tracking. Keep it updated for best results:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/previsat/

In English, made in France. I've had a few talks with the designer of it. Very nice fellow.

Enjoy!

Dave

When retired from service the 'old' Iridiums will be de-orbited. Their orbit will be changed to elliptical with a low perigee that will cause atmospheric drag resulting in eventual (months)  burn up.

(almost) No more flares :( ( -from proper Iridiums :) )

The 'almost' arises from the few rogue ones that are no longer in service because they are uncontrolled, having failed !

4 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

haunted

:thumbsup::D

True,  including the geostationary ones but they can be a bit weak, I have edited my post to reflect your emphasis. :)

I dont know if it is still about but some years ago a spectacular flasher was a tumbling out of control Iridium, but it may have decayed by now ?

EDIT It seems that there are quite a few awol Iridiums (and others) google "tumbling Iridium"

Thanks for the heads up.

" The $3 billion replacement program should be complete by mid-2018, when Iridium flares will be a thing of the past. "

This is a shame, but at least it gives me some extra motivation to see and photograph a few before they are no more. Heavens Above will generate a handy list of predicted flares, if you first set up your location using the link at top right.

Archived