NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Delay in DEC motor starting

Peco4321

Searched but not found anything on this. 

I have enhanced RA and DEC motors fitted to my eq3-2 and there seems to be a delay of about 4 seconds when I switch direction in controlling the DEC direction. It's fine once moving in one direction if I pause then start again it's pretty much instant but if I then switch to opposite direction it does not turn for about 3-4 seconds. The RA works fine switching direction almost instantly. This also happens when there is no payload on the mount at all. 

Is this normal?

It sounds like there is a lot of backlsh in the dec. it's normal to have a bit in these kind of mounts. I don't know if the problem is the mount or the motor, but you might be able to reduce the back lash a little. 

I have tried all the tightening as described in earlier posts about backlash but there is still s delay. If I take the DEC motor off the cog attached to the DEC axis, it performs fine. I will attach a video clip later tonight but in the meantime any suggestions welcome. Thanks. 

I had a similar issue with a totally different mount...

It was a toothed gear that had a loose grub screw attaching it to the motor shaft. So when you changed direction the gear would slip as the grub screw was not engaged for ~1/4 turn until the grub screw caught the shaft. It would only do it when changing slewing direction.

Like in this video where you can see a delay before the worm wheel starts to move (this was at slewing speed, not tracking speed).

Looks to me like there is a lot of backlash in the motor housing itself. From the video clip it looks like the parts labelled 1 & 2 move in unison but only after the mentioned ~4 seconds however you can hear the motor running during those 4 seconds after the direction change.

Not sure what to suggest...looks wrong to me. Is the RA motor identical (except that it doesn't suffer from this issue)?

4lji4l35.jpg

I think I have this sorted now, I simply twisted the slow motion control all the way, taking up the slack I guess, until it would not turn, then when running the DEC motor and swapping direction, the delay was gone. 

Archived