Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters for dslr

Nova2000

Hi. 

I live in a light polluted city(there are many small settlements in my state so no proper open area). My closet dark site is 90km from my place (limited mag 6 naked eyed) 

There are a few less polluted area about 20km out of the city tho. 

I have seen some of these filters 

Astronomik ha 12nm,lp filter and Uhc filter. 

Which if these 3 filters will help me properly /effectively. I'm trying to  gather information on many ap stuff so when I have sufficient funds I can buy the stuff I need as time progresses. 

Clear skies 

Rajesh 

For the ha filter to do its job properly, your camera needs to be at least astromodded. But only red pixels will be used. Some people even have converted their camera to mono. Then all pixels will be used, but you'd need rgb filters.

How well the lp and uhc filters work, depends very much on the type of light pollution and the filter characteristics. Sodium and mercury light sources are generally blocked ok, but led light sources depend on the type of led used. As always, experiment.

Depends on what you want to take pictures of. 

The H-a filter is the most effective of the bunch at cutting through light polution....though I would go for a 2" Baader 7nm not the 12nm clip. It will allow you to take some mono pictures of nebula. Its of very very limited use for galaxies and other broadband targets though. 

A UHC filter is not so narrow as a H-a filter and so will not give you the same protection against light pollution as a H-a filter. However,  it still does a dam good job of it, especially the astronmik one which is a little narrower than some of the other brands (unless you want to pay big money).  It will give you colour images of nebula as you will pick up OIII,  Ha / Hb and SII emissions. Its still pritty useless for galaxies though. 

A City light polution filter (CLS) is the one that most people purchase as their first DSLR filter, myself included. However, while it works well in moderate light polution it is the widest of all the filters you mentioned and will not cope with big city light pollution. 

My recommendation for you would be to get the H-a or UHC depending on how fond you are of black and white images and stick to imaging emission nebula....

Is your camera modified? You are going to want to modify it if you want to use either a H-a or a UHC to its maximum. If its not modified then forget the H-a and go with the UHC it will help you get the H-beta and the OIII at the very least.  

the 20 km drive area doesnt have any led lights .only the glow of 2 cities can be seen in the south and north(orange light) my cam is not modified .i dont have any optical tube as for now so i use my 55-250mm f 5.6 kit lense. so only andromeda and triangulam fir this lense .ill prefer imaging big emission nebulae such as orion, rosette, lagoon and trifid, some widefield of constellations with nebulae in them.

1 minute ago, Nova2000 said:

the 20 km drive area doesnt have any led lights .only the glow of 2 cities can be seen in the south and north(orange light) my cam is not modified .i dont have any optical tube as for now so i use my 55-250mm f 5.6 kit lense. so only andromeda and triangulam fir this lense .ill prefer imaging big emission nebulae such as orion, rosette, lagoon and trifid, some widefield of constellations with nebulae in them.

You probably want the Astronomik UHC Clip then. It will do a good job for what you are describing. 

thats this one: http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/astronomik-uhc-eos-clip-in-filter.html

not to be confused with the similar named but inferior UHC-E version. 

Archived