Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting Started in Astrophotography

Naten

For such a hobby I have found little to no documentation that explains things for a beginner, so I ask for help here. I need help getting started with astrophotography. So far, I have done observations of the stars, planets, and M31 and that one globular cluster in Sagittarius that I forgot the name of. I have done these with an AstroMaster LT 60AZ, which, of course, is not the telescope I want to use for astrophotography.

I would like to observe, and photograph, with a telescope. I would like to take a long exposure picture with a camera so I can see deep sky objects better, and planets as well. I am in light polluted skies, so I understand I need some filters.

What sort of cheaper telescope and camera with a total in the ~$300-600 range could I get, and what could I expect out of it? If you need more details on what I'm looking for I'll try to provide good answers. Thanks! :)

P.S: I'm observing from light polluted skies, so would a larger-apertured telescope be a better option for a beginner, before I get really into astronomy and astrophotography? Do light pollution filters help with contrast even when I'm not using a camera?

Hello from the West coast,

No matter the scope ( I'd suggest a C8 myself) you'll want to get a nice sturdy tracking mount with GoTo capabilities. The sturdier the better. Maybe look at an Orion Atlas Pro or Skywatcher equivalent. Also a guide scope and guide camera with the proper cables to hook it all up to a computer and then using PHD2 to guide things. Remember that no LP filter will ever be able to fully correct/reduce what a nice dark sky will give you so it's key for the best results to get to the darkest area you can. Just IMHO

Do yourself a favour and get a couple of books: the Sky @ Night Astrophotography special, or 'Astrophotography on the go; short exposures with light mounts', from the Patrick Moore series, or if you have Kindle unlimited, there are several for free, including 'budget astrophotography, capture the cosmos without breaking the bank'.  'Make every photon count' is a bit expensive, but covers everything and will end up saving you money!

Goto is useful if you cannot see too many starts because of light pollution, but there are plenty of options 

Best advice: find someone that already takes astrophotographs locally and get friendly with them :) 

Just a few thoughts for you Naten.

This is the book you need if you want to build a good foundation of your knowledge in imaging. Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards.

Many on here consider it to be the bible :)

best of luck.

Regarding light pollution, the bigger the mirror/lens, the more photons it collects, both from your target AND from the light pollution so the aperture certainly doesn't help with that. Pick your imaging run times when the target is as far from your light dome as possible, and remember narrowband imaging (Ha, SII etc) will not suffer due to everything but the few nm you are imaging being filtered out.

Archived