Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Filter for Eclipse 2017

There is a lot of talk lately about the Solar Eclipse coming up August 21 here in the states. We will drive to Columbia SC to capture the event, which is only a two hour drive for us. The question has to do with my setup. I will be using a Celestron AVX 6in Newt and a Canon for imaging, what kind of filter would any of you recommend.  I mostly want the natural colors of the sun if possible. Whatever you guys suggest, I would like to get it soon to practice with. Thanks for any advice.

Baader Solar Safety Film is by far the best option , gives the best detail by far , and in the natural white light of the Sun ( as opposed to an unnatural orange )

The polymer film filters that are out there ( Thousand Oaks or Seymour ) are fit for little else than eclipse glasses .

You can either buy a sheet of film and make a simple holder cell or purchase a ready made filter cell from someone like Kendrick ... http://www.kendrickastro.com/solarfilters.html

I happen to like the 'un-natural orange' colour of the Thousand Oaks polymer-filter. Because:

a.) They're easier on my eyes.

b.) I'm not concerned with deducing the ultra-fine details of Sunspots and such.

c.) A bonus is they're lower-cost, at least here they are.

To each their own,

Dave

7 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Baader Solar Safety Film is by far the best option , gives the best detail by far , and in the natural white light of the Sun ( as opposed to an unnatural orange )

The polymer film filters that are out there ( Thousand Oaks or Seymour ) are fit for little else than eclipse glasses .

You can either buy a sheet of film and make a simple holder cell or purchase a ready made filter cell from someone like Kendrick ... http://www.kendrickastro.com/solarfilters.html

Thank you Steve, looking at them now.

6 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I happen to like the 'un-natural orange' colour of the Thousand Oaks polymer-filter. Because:

a.) They're easier on my eyes.

b.) I'm not concerned with deducing the ultra-fine details of Sunspots and such.

c.) A bonus is they're lower-cost, at least here they are.

To each their own,

Dave

Thanks Dave, honestly I would like to use both but my wallet is shaking its head, LOL. I will check them out online and probably get something next week.

Is anyone travelling to the US specifically for the event, am tempted. I've seen a few ads for it in some magazines but they are pricey, I think binos would probably be the best thing to view it with

13 hours ago, Sachman said:

Is anyone travelling to the US specifically for the event, am tempted. I've seen a few ads for it in some magazines but they are pricey, I think binos would probably be the best thing to view it with

We will be in Columbia South Carolina for the event so if anyone makes it let me know.:happy11:

Archived