Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

Vega

Excited about 2017?

First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR all at SGL! Wishing you all a very enjoyable, prosperous and cloud free year.

What are people's thoughts on the year ahead astronomically? I must admit I'm quite excited for the months ahead. There's quite a lot going on up there :-) 3 bright(ish) comets, two of these comets will be in the same constellation in April!        

All three should easily reach binocular viewing brightness. Then in August there's 'The Big One' if you live in America or are planning on visiting. Even though I wont witness it, I'm still intrigued as to how this will compare to the 1999 eclipse and just what kind of media frenzie the world will get in to on this one.

Any other events people are looking forward to this year?

• Like 1

I'm watching quadrantids meteor shower tomorrow night into the next morning, upto 40 meteors ph apparently....

I also look forward to observe Venus on its greatest elongation on the 12 of this month.

i found a Astro Calendar which being new I've found really helpful  

it's on another website tho (which I'm not signed up to)

im not sure on SGL's rules on me posting it

Edited by Nathan UK
Amending

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ken31
      Date: 2020/07/11
      Time: 0155UT
      Camera: Fuji FinePix HS50EXR
      Settings: 8s f4 ISO400 17mm (x4.25 optical zoom)
      Post-processing: cropped, contrast enhanced.
    • By Rhushikesh-Canisminor
      Hello!
      I have been really inactive here, so apologies.
      Here are a few images of the Solar Eclipse, happened on 21 June 2020. It was annular, but partial from Mumbai region (around 60% covered). Maximum phase of the eclipse was at around 11:30 a.m. IST.
      This is actually onset of our 4-5 months of monsoon season, so getting decent skies was a tough part. Luckily got decent cleared patches here and there with occasional rains.
      I had to use whatever I had to make a comfortable view of the eclipse, thanks to the lockdown.
      I simply took a box, made a whole of the size of the eyepiece on one end, cut the opposite side and attached a paper. I had to do little bit here and there attachments for perfect angle. But was really happy with the results. 
      One of the best experience was when I was seeing the Sun while it was drizzling at the same time.
      Thanks!
      -Rhushikesh Deshpande.

• By Galen Gilmore
      Anybody know of a piece of software that could detect the change the occurred in an image? I'm doing a project to see if I can find an asteroid or comet without any prior knowledge of where said asteroid/comet is.
      I'm not really sure where to look for something like this, so any help would be appreciated.
      Also, I would like something that could run on Mac. But I'll run it on bootcamp if there is no other options.
      Thanks.
    • By HaleBopp2007
      So, ATLAS has disintegrated, and it won't provide us a great show in May. But there's another comet that could reach naked-eye visibility in the same time that ATLAS' debris reach perihelion. It's C/2020 F8 (SWAN). It's had an outburst recently and it could reach 3rd or even 2nd mag. And it's looking pretty good from the southern hemisphere! Here, in the north, we'll be the only ones that will see the perihelion of the comet.

So let's see if we're lucky this time... No one knows what could happen, but I have hope. It was only discovered on March 25th, so there's still time to see how this comet reacts.
    • By Astrofriend
      Hi,
      I and my girlfriend are now drawing plans to catch the comet C/2019 Y4 Atlas on photo. It's just a few weeks until it reach it's maxima for us living in the Northern hemisphere. We belive there are a lot of others that plan to do the same. We use my travel mount Star Adventurer and two cameras with telephoto lenses, a bit overloaded but easy to bring to a dark place.
      I have updated my comet page with examples that belong to this comet. Maybe could be interesting or of some help for you ? UK isn't far away from Sweden and the circumstances not to different from ours in Sweden.
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-comet-photography-planning/tutorial-comet-photography-planning.html
      I have also this comet related page that I wrote long time ago:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-find-comets/tutorial-find-comets.html
      We wish all of you a clear sky and that you get nice photos of the comet !
      Lars and Gunilla

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.