Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

travel scope 70

kiltyman

hope you can help I'm new to this,just got a travelscope 70 and I have a Nikon dslr 3100,i would like to connect it to the scope but what exactly do I need to buy to do this,do I need more than one item or not,any help greatly appreciated or links to what I need.

many thanks

Hi kiltman, and welcome to the forum. There's a few ways you can do this. 

* At the most basic, you can shoot afocally. Basically just lining the camera up with the eyepiece and focusing on the image. There are various gadgets out there to hold the camera in place, though most are more suited for smartphones or compacts.

* You can get an eyepiece projector to project the image from the eyepiece directly onto the dslr sensor (so no lens). FLO and others sell these. 

* Best option is prime focus. No eyepiece or lens, basically using the scope as a telephoto. You get better quality images, with no vignetting. For that you'll need a table ring and nosepiece. Again, FLO sells these.

Hope this helps. Billy

33 minutes ago, billyharris72 said:

Hi kiltman, and welcome to the forum. There's a few ways you can do this. 

* At the most basic, you can shoot afocally. Basically just lining the camera up with the eyepiece and focusing on the image. There are various gadgets out there to hold the camera in place, though most are more suited for smartphones or compacts.

* You can get an eyepiece projector to project the image from the eyepiece directly onto the dslr sensor (so no lens). FLO and others sell these. 

* Best option is prime focus. No eyepiece or lens, basically using the scope as a telephoto. You get better quality images, with no vignetting. For that you'll need a table ring and nosepiece. Again, FLO sells these.

Hope this helps. Billy

lost now lol and whos FLO,told you I'm new

That is the only problem with this site, to much jargon. You will pick it up as you go along, FLO is First Light Optics a retailer who sponsor this site, there is company logo in the top right corner that will take you to their web site. Suggest you have a look at the glossary in the beginners section, it's a great help

Archived