NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strange difference in price

Hi everyone.

First of all, this is my first post on Stargazers Lounge, yeey!

Second, I have been looking into buying a starter but decent telescope. My attention was drawn by the Bresser NT-203/1000 at the price of € 819 with mount (EXOS 2 included).

Now I have been reading this forum longer than today and I've seen a link here that Bresser is doing a sale on its telescopes and my eye fell on this one :

NT-203/1200

The strange thing is that this has a better focal lenght and has the same mount but costs only half of what I had in mind:

NT-203/1000 (I am sorry but I cant put it in English but pretty sure you can compare the specifics).

Am I missing something here or is the 1000 overpriced on that website because I compared it (to my capabilities, I am a beginner so..)

I would appreciate it so much if someone could explain why that price difference is there.

Thanks in advance!

Pieter

Not that strange really, it is more difficult to make faster scopes.

The 203/1000 also has a 2" focuser rather than 1.25" and a better finder scope.

It would also appear to be designed for imaging.

I would say that the difference is similar to a SW200P vs a SW200PDS.

Thanks for the fast responses!

If I take them apart on the website of bresser and only look at the 1000-one and the EXOS 2 it would cost € 746 so that differences you mentioned are probably worth the increase in price.

Since my intentions are also to go for astrophotography, I will probably get the NT-203/1000.

A 200mm f/5 is preferable to a 200mm f/6, being more observationally versatile; and especially when mounted on a tripod.  The f/5 optical-tube is about 200mm shorter, and would ride upon the EXOS2 with a reduced moment-arm effect.

The € 819 may be for the Exos-2GT version, with a computerised go-to system, but with the Newtonian being an older model, as pictured within their listing, and without the Hexafoc focusser. 

These are the optical-tubes as listed by Bresser separately, with the 200mm f/5 being actually 22 less...

http://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/BRESSER-Messier-NT-203-1000-Hexafoc-Optical-Tube.html

http://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Telescopes/Bresser-Messier-203-1200-Optical-Tube.html

You would need to call them and verify.  The 200mm f/5 is the one to have on an Exos2.  The f/6 is for Dobson mounts.

16 minutes ago, Pieter said:

Ah I see now. Thanks that clears it up for me!

Great!  Here in the U.S., the Exos2-GT, with go-to, has been sold for quite a while, but an upgraded and more user-friendly version is slated to be released at any time now, on this side of the Atlantic at least...

https://telescopes.net/store/explore-scientific-firstlight-exos-2gt-white-mount-with-goto.html

https://www.naturefriendmagazine.com/store.pl?linkid=backissue&q=&productid=13528

...an "FL-Exos-2GT", with "FL" standing for "First Light".  Explore Scientific is about to release a series of telescopes here under that moniker.  Explore Scientific, Meade  and Bresser are "in cahoots" with one another, which explains why I'm seeing Meade "AutoStar" go-to controllers on Bresser mounts in your locale.

The gist of all of that is that if you're considering the go-to version of the Exos2, then I'd make inquiries as to the still-mysterious updated version before purchasing.  Of course, you also have the option to simply motorise the Exos2, for tracking only whilst imaging.

Archived