NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maplin project box for load bearing telescope hub?

michaelmorris

I'm presently planning my new rig.  The plan at the moment is to mount my Revelation 66mm ED scope mounted on a Skywatcher Guide scope mount above my Orion/Skywatcher 80ED,   In normal operation the  66mm scope acts mainly as a guide scope, but with the option to swap over roles.  

mount1.jpg

I'm looking at making a 12v power switching hub combined with an Arduino-based focus controller all in one project box.  I've just seen a video about the new PrimaLuce Eagle hub http://www.primalucelab.com/astronomy/eagle-control-unit-for-telescopes-and-astrophotography.html .   I like the nifty way it is designed to fit between two scopes.  

This got me thinking -  could I make my hub fit on top of the 80ED and below the Skywatcher Guide scope mount? This arrangement would also make it easier to transfer the twin refractor set up between my observatory (where it will be mounted on an EQ8 with an C9.25) and my portable HEQ5 Pro.

Obviously it would have to be a pretty sturdy metal box else I risk getting problems with differential flexure.  Do you think one of the Hammond Eddystone cast aluminium project boxes would be strong enough and stiff enough?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/hammond-eddystone-die-cast-aluminium-shallow-lid-thin-wall-188x120x57mm-n93bq

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/26827PSLA.pdf

The walls of the box appears to be about 2mm thick.

Hi Michael Morris

The other hub mount in this section is made of 5mm aluminium.

Compared to the thickness of all the other metalwork in your setup, 2mm sounds inadequate.

I'd try out the empty box and see if it's rigid enough, before adding the connectors and components.

If you could bolt the guide mount all the way through the hub mount into the sturdy plate between the 80mm rings, through hardwood spacers inside the box to prevent crushing. I think it would do.

Michael

Hi Michael

medium.571ccb41d051a_2016-04-2410.06.28.jpg.34ce6a6c326fe2f3cfd11bb4e4c23451.jpg

This is a similar idea. The box is a standard diecast aluminium one and it is plenty strong enough when the lid is screwed on tightly. The upper scope is an 80 mm from TS, used as a guide scope. This box may be a bit small for your needs if you want to put the actual electronics inside, mine is only used for power distribution. The box is a Hammond  No 3114. Available from RS, part number 528-7230.

More pics in my gallery.

Regards, Hugh

Archived