NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crater Hecataeus nr Balmer 14/12/16

mikeDnight

Never having been much of a lunar sketcher, probably because the Moon is a scary subject due to it being so complex, and I never seem to know quite when to stop adding detail. I've ruined many sketches that way! I thought its time to take the bull by the horns and just get on with it. 

Last night 14th December was a night having still air, and although there was a veil of very thin cloud the seeing was very good throughout most of the observation. Anyhow, attached is a sketch of the crater Hecataeus nr Balmer, which due to libration was last night very close to the E limb. Throughout the sketch I was determined not to over kill any detail, because as you know there is always far more visible in the eyepiece. Due to Hecataeus being close to the limb there is only a limited window of opportunity at each lunation to study it in detail. Last night the crater was almost in full shadow but over the coming months, if seeing permits, i hope to sketch it in more detail and learn more about its structure.

Mike ☺

2016-12-22 20.26.12.jpg

Wow that is truly a beautiful drawing! All the details are perfect, the shades and contrasts, the look is pure and clean like a polished gem stone. It's the moon on paper!

Thanks Mike for sharing this fine art again, I hope to be able to reach that level of precision with the pencils some day.

Archived