Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi Quick release finder bracket FARPOINT vs ADM

jabeoo1

This review is more of a heads up really. 

I first ordered the ADM version of this product for my Takahashi FD-100 DF and 6x30 Takahashi finderbracket/scope.  The base of the ADM does not fit onto the scope!  

I then got the dimensions of the FARPOINT version which are 1mm smaller in width than the ADM.  This one is perfect and fits flush to the mounting platform.  It makes packing away and setting up quick and repeatable, and as I store my scope in a Geoptik bag it can only fit in by removing the bracket each time.  

The ADM one is slightly higher quality/finish.  It has shallow holes in the side of the dovetail allowing the finger tightened bolt ends to slot into, the FARPOINT one just relies on the bolts squeezing the face of the dovetail which is no big deal but a missed trick. 

So anyone thinking of getting one just bear in mind the bottom plate size issue.  I can't comment on other Takahashi models and compatibility. 

A downside is you would be brave to want to carry the scope by the finder bracket if you are using this accessory as it becomes the weakest link. 

That's a bad habit that I've got! Carrying the scope over one shoulder while holding onto the finder bracket for security is something I do every time. It's good you mention the old "weakest link ploy", as having to buy a new Tak because you've dropped the one you have can be a tearful and emotionally, as well as a financially draining experience.

My finder is permanently bolted to my Tak focuser and still fits into my TENBA case. However the habit extends to the carrying of other folks scopes. One of my friends nearly lost three of his scopes at my hands due to the "weakest link". The first was a 80 ED Pro, the second a 5" Mak Cass and the third a 7" Mak Cass. Hes now a quivering wreck whenever im around! (Skywatcher finders are also slippery little devils!)

Mike. ?

6 hours ago, jabeoo1 said:

This review is more of a heads up really. 

I first ordered the ADM version of this product for my Takahashi FD-100 DF and 6x30 Takahashi finderbracket/scope.  The base of the ADM does not fit onto the scope!  

I then got the dimensions of the FARPOINT version which are 1mm smaller in width than the ADM.  This one is perfect and fits flush to the mounting platform.  It makes packing away and setting up quick and repeatable, and as I store my scope in a Geoptik bag it can only fit in by removing the bracket each time.  

The ADM one is slightly higher quality/finish.  It has shallow holes in the side of the dovetail allowing the finger tightened bolt ends to slot into, the FARPOINT one just relies on the bolts squeezing the face of the dovetail which is no big deal but a missed trick. 

So anyone thinking of getting one just bear in mind the bottom plate size issue.  I can't comment on other Takahashi models and compatibility. 

A downside is you would be brave to want to carry the scope by the finder bracket if you are using this accessory as it becomes the weakest link. 

usefult to know James - I've been penny pinching in comparison - planning to use Synta 9x50 RACI and Baader rdf finders for my new Tak, but never rule out upgrading in future. 

Archived