Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Starfinder Dec communication problems

Aussie Dave

Hi all.

I have an older Meade Starfinder equatorial mount with the Dec motor not tracking. It's getting power and I can control it with the hand controller and can see the co-ordinates on the hand controller changing as well as visually seeing it move but tracking by itself it doesn't move.

I've changed the Dec encoder unit over with a spare one I had but it's still not tracking by itself, co-ordinates still changing and can visually see it moving when using the hand controller. Would anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be?

Hi happy-cat. I can hear at least 1 motor working ticking away. The thing is I can move it with the arrow keys on the hand controller with it showing changing co-ordinates on the display both Dec and RA, so it's getting power and the Dec encoder unit for both of them are working and communicating. It's got me beat.

oh and yes I have loosened the declination lock knob on the shaft (not the clutch arm which is firm).

Archived