SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mirror Removal?

Stub Mandrel

On the last cold night's imaging some of my subs have had a dark border along the bottom, something an issue means the mirror has not fully flipped up :-(

Also sometimes my stacks show a dark band at the bottom although this isn't evident in the subs.

Wondering if removing my mirror would stop the 450D from working (e.g. cause an error) I found this guide:

http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/Projects/Mirrorless/canon550mirrorless.html

As I have no particular need of an optical viewfinder, is there any sensible reason for not doing the same?

I de-mirrored my DSLR, unfortunately mine had metal hinges so wasn't so easy to get out.  I resorted to yanking it out with a pair of pliers.

The mechanism that operates it is still there so as far as the camera is concerned it is still flipping it up and down.

19 hours ago, Dave_D said:

I stripped practically everything off my 1100D... still works just fine in its new box

Looks like one too, just a few steps before it got into that box :D:D

Ultimately I plan something similar. Removing the heat barriers and replacing the mirror box with an argon-filled chamber with a standard M68 thread would make these gadgets sing.

Archived