NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

29/30 Nov

mikey2000

My last two nights of viewing with lovely clear skies in the SE UK. (Skywatcher 130P).   I think I'll pop out again later for another look....

A bit of a random tour but I fancied finding some clusters and anything interesting on the star hopping route.

Cepheus
Garnet Star (HIP 107259) - lovely colour!
Elephant Trunk Nebula - no chance
NGC 7160 - minor interest only.

Auriga

M38 - starfish cluster - great to look at with a 6mm eyepiece.  I could see some kind of structure - I can understand where the name comes from
m36 - open cluster - nice to look at with a dense haze with many visible stars

Cygnus -
M29 - cooling tower cluster - fascinating shape!  A well named cluster.

Lyra-
(starting to get a bit low on my polluted western horizon)
Epsilon Lyra - double double.  I couldn't complete the double split with 6mm and 2x barlow - it was a blurry mess.  I could only manage to see two stars.  The seeing was not good enough.
Ring Nebula - Finally, I caught my first glimpse!  I could definitely see a ring in the hazy oval shape.  Brilliant!  My favourite view of the day. :-)  It was shimmering about a bit but I'm convinced I finally saw the Ring!

So for me, a trip around the sky that started a little dull but soon heated up with my Big View of the ring.

Nice report and congrats on the Ring - you'll be returning to that for the rest of your observing career!  Not too late to get the Dumbell too, if you've not already tried it, although you'll have to bag it early in the evening - it's lovely a bright and has a nice shape contrast to the Ring.

The Garnet star needs to go on my list; I've never tracked it down.

Paul

Archived