Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binos in Oz

thing

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Zero light pollution, crystal clear nights from 6pm, Milky Way horizon to horizon........where do you start.....Well I've just had a couple of hours laying on a sunbed (it's 8.30pm here) just come in to be sociable for a bit. Using 15x70's I've been looking at Scorpio and the treasures within. M4, M7 stand out beautifully as does the Northern Jewel Box NGC6321. In Crux the Coal Sack is clearly visible (or not visible depending on your point of view) and of course the Jewel Box is stunning. Jupiter is at the zenith in an hour or so, Uranus is clearly spottable although I haven't found Neptune yet even though it is at opposition at the moment.

The Magellenics are low on the horizon at this time of year but clear as a bell. Again you could spend all night just browsing those.

However the most awe inspiring thing is just to sweep any part of the sky and find no end of globulars, opens, the faint misty patches of galaxies, you name it, it's there. Or just lay back and use Mark 1 eyeball, I'ver never seen so many stars before in my life. Plus it's warm enough to lay out in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. If anybody gets the chance to come here to the more isolated regions, pack a big pair of binos and see the heavens as they were meant to be. This must be what it was like when Messier et al were compiling their lists with no pollution of any kind. I've got another month of this........

Orion is upside down........................

I would move here tomorrow Jeff, family commitments at home unfortunately. Still, one day.....6.20am here, just watching the sun rise, Parakeets and Lorikeets squawking away, Kookaburra's laughing at each other, Butcher Birds hopping around the patio hoping for some toast, and there's a mist over the lake about 300 metres away. Very primeval. Must take some shots.

Archived