Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Time Guiding help and advice

Aussie Dave

Hi all.

I would like to start auto guiding for some of the bigger nebs, mainly Orion's neb to start with but I'm not really sure what software I should download as there's quite a lot out there. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

The gear I'll be using will be either the Celestron Nexstar 8i with GPS attachment which doesn't deal with field rotation, or the Skywatcher EQ6 Pro with a suitable scope. I have an off-axis guider attachment, the ZWO ASI174MM for the guide camera and Sony a3000 DSLR camera or smaller a5000 to image with. The only thing I haven't bought yet is the ST4 guide cable. Laptop is Win10 i5.

I'm not looking to do long exposures yet, 30-60 second exposures would be good on Orion just to work it all out and get some nice results to work with.

What's the best value for money ST4 guide cable? as they seem a little over priced for what they are from what I've found searching for one.

Do I still need to do a star align with the C8i / polar alignment and star align with the SW EQ6 pro to auto guide?

What's the easiest and the most simple to understand auto guiding program available for someone starting out for the first time?

Is there anything I've missed that I need?

Any suggestions would be a big help, thanks.

Dave.

I'd choose the EQ6, lose the handset and control the mount from the computer using eqmod; don't go for the st4. If you can get the mount and the computer slewing using Cartes du Ciel, then would be a good time to guide and add PHD2 to the mix, although I'm almost certain a well aligned eq6 would do 60s or so unguided on Orion without any messing around in software. HTH.

@D4N I bought the ZWO second hand, the only thing it didn't come with was the guide cable.

@alacant I'd rather just go straight to auto guiding and get some practice in. Ok so first thing is to install eqmod, then Cartes du Ciel star chart.  So a rough polar align and star align is ok to see if it slews and communicates correctly, if it does then download PHD2. Got it, thanks.

I'll need to test this tomorrow, cheers.

2 hours ago, Aussie Dave said:

rather just go straight to auto guiding

Hi. Yes, absolutely. Sorry. I replied without reading your full post. So, yes. All the software is free. First install ascom. Then eqascom. CdC is here and you'll need PHD2 for guiding. You'll need a usb to serial cable to connect to the eq6 handset. HTH and good luck. 

8 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. Yes, absolutely. Sorry. I replied without reading your full post. So, yes. All the software is free. First install ascom. Then eqascom. CdC is here and you'll need PHD2 for guiding. You'll need a usb to serial cable to connect to the eq6 handset. HTH and good luck. 

Yes it helps a lot, thanks for the links alacat. Downloading them now...

I was going through my gear and this is what I have, cable wise

DSCF2681.JPG

Would this cable on the left be ok or would it be better to buy the USB to Serial cable? I was actually looking at one of these USB to Serial cables from one of my search results the other day on ebay.

-------------------

Ok I downloaded ASCOM, installed it, then opened it. seems to be fine. I'll need to work out port settings later.

ascom.png

-------------------

I downloaded the latest version of EQASCOM.  Installed and then run Setup EQASCOM, some of these settings I'm unsure of, hopefully I won't need to change much. I will need to test connected to the EQ6 Pro mount tonight.

EQMOD.png

-------------------

Now with CdC star chart, I've downloaded it but does it have Southern Hemisphere star charts or can I download them? Also can I use Stellarium instead. Is that similar to Cartes du Ciel ?

I haven't gone any further yet.

2 hours ago, Aussie Dave said:

Would this cable on the left be ok or would it be better to buy the USB to Serial cable?

Hi. If your computer has a 232 male socket then fine. Otherwise you're gonna need the usb to serial (male) cable. Plug the white lead into the centre socket of the handset and the other end into your computer. Set the handset PCDIRECT and you're then connected. 

CDC has southern hemisphere. Don't forget to configure and connect in Telescope:

t.jpg

Good luck:)

7 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. If your computer has a 232 male socket then fine. Otherwise you're gonna need the usb to serial (male) cable. Plug the white lead into the centre socket of the handset and the other end into your computer. Set the handset PCDIRECT and you're then connected. 

CDC has southern hemisphere. Don't forget to configure and connect in Telescope:

G'day alacant, yes the laptop has the 232 male socket at the back, so the laptop is powering the handset? What happens to the black cable? There's also the guide camera cable which I think I still need or can I use the ZWO USB 3.0 transfer cable for that?

DSCF2682.JPG

Hi. No, the black cable doesn't change. It goes where it always went, into the mount. The white cable goes from the centre socket on the handset to the male 232 on your laptop. You then need the camera connected via it's USB to a spare USB on the laptop. That's it. Sounds like you're almost there:)

*not sure what camera you're using for imaging or what camera for guiding. Both need a USB connection to the computer. To help with the mess of cables, it may be better to get a hub later. Get everything working without first though. There's enough to go wrong already. The reliability is directly proportional to the number of spare cables you have... HTH.

hey again alacant.

arh ha, Gotcha! Will report back to make sure everything will working correctly.

I will be guiding with the ZWO ASI 174MM which has a guide port.

Imaging with either a Sony a3000 DSLR or the smaller Sony a5000. Will be using a cheap wired shutter release cable to start with.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Dave said:

the ZWO ASI 174MM which has a guide port.

Hi. Best not to. Use eqmod-PHD2 to control the mount via the single cable running from the camera USB- to the laptop. Don't connect the st4 cable. Gotta be close now... HTH

Archived