Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen GP belt mod

Dave_D

Ok, i'm having an out-of-body moment with this one and just looking for opinions...

I've been looking at various mounts and their belt mods, yes the rowan mod, and after a quick google, it appears that people on cloudy nights have done belt mods for Vixen GP mounts (although there is no specific details listed)

Aaaaaanyway... it got me thinking that as i already replaced the original stepper motors on my GP with a synscan EQ5 upgrade, would it be feasible to replace the gears provided with the synscan kit with a good quality belt drive?

Just a thought as:

a. i want to tinker

b. i'm broke so no mount replacement

c. i adore my Vixen GP

• 3 weeks later...

So after quite a few emails to the excellent Dave at Rowan Engineering, i can get 12T and 47T pulleys to fit, although the 47T will have to be sleeved to 6mm. What i don't know though, is the calculations required to see if i'll be getting the same ratios... my Vixen GP has 144 tooth gears on the RA and Dec, which i believe are the same as an EQ5 and it's currently using an EQ5 upgrade motors and gears.

Anyone got any links to how the calculations work so i can work out if eqmod needs custom settings?

• 4 years later...
On 14/12/2016 at 22:35, Dave_D said:

So after quite a few emails to the excellent Dave at Rowan Engineering, i can get 12T and 47T pulleys to fit, although the 47T will have to be sleeved to 6mm. What i don't know though, is the calculations required to see if i'll be getting the same ratios... my Vixen GP has 144 tooth gears on the RA and Dec, which i believe are the same as an EQ5 and it's currently using an EQ5 upgrade motors and gears.

Anyone got any links to how the calculations work so i can work out if eqmod needs custom settings?

Hi Dave! 

I know it is an old thread...but did you sort out the belt and pulley mod for your GP ? any improvements? 

I was thinking on trying the mod myself on my Vixen SP with SS2Kpc. 

Could you tell me the pulleys and belt used ? :)

Thanks! 

Carles.

hahaha ...not the answer I was expecting xD 

with my own tunned Vixen SP I get stable total RMS 0.70", sometimes as low as 0.58" , just wondered if I could get any better with belt, 😛 will research elsewhere then

thank you anyway ^^ ;