Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ic410 (Tadpoles) and Flaming Star nebs, Ha deep!

ChrisLX200

I had gone back to some older data to see if I could combine with the new, in total it's 7hrs of Ha - but the problem was the first set was aquired without the Large Field Corrector fitted to the refractor. So ignoring the fact the corner stars would be a bit mis-shapen it would still be interesting to see how deep the combined data would get me.

StarTools has a function called AutoDevelop - a sort of atuo-stretch - designed to show everything in the data, warts 'n all :)  On running that tool I noticed an interesting effect, the huge gas cloud that contains ic410 (Tadpoles - feature at lower-left) has a marked streamer of gas which makes it look like an enormous comet moving (in this image) from around the 1-O'clock position down towards the 7-O'clock position:

ic410%20StarTools%20AutoDevelop_zps9tclh

So I completed a processing run with the sole aim of revealing as much of this feature as I could. That included using a MaskedStretch in PixInsight using the star mask created in StarTools. The result is below:

lbn795%20flaming%20star%20Ha%20ST%20001b

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/ChrisLX200/media/Astro - Images G4-16000/lbn795 flaming star Ha ST 001b masked stretch_zpsg1wnhdqo.jpg.html

Well it wasn't something I expected to see and I found it interesting anyway :) I will try to combine this data with the other two channels, but this one clearly much brighter which will make life difficult.

There really is some quite stunning detail in this image Chris, I can definitely see where you are coming from regarding the comet feature in the bottom left. I think I would be tempted to keep going with Ha just to see if there is anything else hiding away in there.

Archived