Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3 Nice Perseus Open Clusters Before Tea-Time

cloudsweeper

I had a short session early y'day evening in the Perseus region (below Cass.), picking up open clusters NGC 1528, 1342, and 1513.  Their main stars all have very characteristic shapes:

1528 - like a long, hooked nose; 1342 (Little Scorpion Cluster) - like a, well, small scorpion; and 1513 - like a letter D.

1528 was very nice, with several other faint stars on show, but the others were a bit like small asterisms, although that was no doubt due to some light pollution or the fact that I was out quite early.

But a very pleasing session, with GoTo behaving quite well despite my only bothering with one-star (Capella) alignment.

Doug.

Nice session Doug in highlighting those open clusters. The Winter sky is just full of them and I enjoyed many fulfilling encounters myself last night and in case anyone needs reminding, it is just four weeks to Christmas, the quirky coincidence of the Christmas tree cluster was dazzling. 

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Nice session Doug in highlighting those open clusters. The Winter sky is just full of them and I enjoyed many fulfilling encounters myself last night and in case anyone needs reminding, it is just four weeks to Christmas, the quirky coincidence of the Christmas tree cluster was dazzling. 

Thanks Iain!  

Christmas - wife asked where the tree will go, what with all the astro gear.  I suggested decorating a tripod instead.  Not well received!

Doug.

Archived