NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

(NEQ6) Tips on keeping mount in excellent shape

souls33k3r

Hi All,

I've just recently discovered a very odd problem with my NEQ6 Pro mount which is less than a year old and on my last outing i noticed that the DEC axis has become fairly hard to move to balance out the scope. No matter if my scope (with all the bits at the back including a heavy DSLR) would just stay in the position when i stop moving the Dec axis. Reported this to the supplier that i bought from so thankfully it was still under warranty when i first discovered this fault so they'll take care of that.

But this topic actually springs in to existence from my experience, what can one do (tips) to keep the mount (I have an NEQ6 pro) in tip top condition so that it works well for years?

I like to keep my things in perfect cosmetic condition as well so it's a given it's take extra care of them.

At the end of each session, i bring my mount back in and put it on the sofa for an hour or so while my scope cools down. I then store it away in a 32" suitcase that i bought with the mount resting on polystyrene that came with the mount head and blankets and cushions to support any extra bumps and mostly i keep the suitcase in the upright position in the storage under the stairs.

Just wanted to see what you would do (differently) or can suggest that i keep it in excellent mechanical and electrical condition possible. The reason why it lives under the stairs storage is because i have recently developed a bad back so it's much easier to store it downstairs rather than having to drag it from upstairs which quite frankly has put me off setting up at time too.

Thanks in advance. 

Hi

I think you may be running into problems dismantling and storing, particularly with condensation forming on the bits you can't see. Leaving the mount in its observing position permanently maybe a better idea. Something simple to keep the elements getting at it. Mine is an upside down plant pot with a sort of shed on wheels. Not very elegant but it works fine and is cheap and easy to make. It also saves time setting up. Just carry your telescope to the mount and you're ready to go as it's already polar aligned. Mine has been outside -in the early days with a simple tarpaulin-  for 13 years. HTH.

IMG_20161111_180540624.jpgmnt.jpg

4 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

I think you may be running into problems dismantling and storing, particularly with condensation forming on the bits you can't see. Leaving the mount in its observing position permanently maybe a better idea. Something simple to keep the elements getting at it. Mine is an upside down plant pot with a sort of shed on wheels. Not very elegant but it works fine and is cheap and easy to make. It also saves time setting up. Just carry your telescope to the mount and you're ready to go as it's already polar aligned. Mine has been outside -in the early days with a simple tarpaulin-  for 13 years. HTH.

IMG_20161111_180540624.jpgmnt.jpg

As much as i love the idea, firstly the beautiful British weather won't be too kind for so many reasons (wind, humidity, dew, condensation) but secondly and most importantly because of the risk of it getting nicked. Unless i have the observatory i will have to unpack it every time. NEQ6 is a beauty of a mount in terms of how it was made but because of the fear of condensation, precisely the reason why i leave my scope out for an hour on the sofa.

Hi,

Bringing in a cold mount in a warm room will attract a lot of condensation on the mount both externally and internally. 

At the end of your observing session I would give the mount a wipe down when outside then bring the mount inside and put it straight in to the suit case to let it slowly warm back up to room temp over night.
Then the next day open the case for a few hours for it fully dry.
This is what I do with my scopes and seems to work well.

1 hour ago, 1parsec said:

Hi,

Bringing in a cold mount in a warm room will attract a lot of condensation on the mount both externally and internally. 

At the end of your observing session I would give the mount a wipe down when outside then bring the mount inside and put it straight in to the suit case to let it slowly warm back up to room temp over night.
Then the next day open the case for a few hours for it fully dry.
This is what I do with my scopes and seems to work well.

Excellent advice Dave and one which i will most certainly make sure of. The only pain being, the next day task because i could very well be stuck at work all day and not have the chance to open the suitcase up for a few hours. 

Just thought of something, how about i throw in a few big sachets of desiccant tablets and then close off the suitcase?

Also does it matter if i keep the mount head in the upright position? (Suitcase standing)

I guessed 2 hours would be the minimum. I don't see that there would be any issues leaving the case open for the first day while you were at work.
The orientation of the case shouldn't matter.
Some desiccant in there would definitely be a help too.

13 hours ago, 1parsec said:

I guessed 2 hours would be the minimum. I don't see that there would be any issues leaving the case open for the first day while you were at work.
The orientation of the case shouldn't matter.
Some desiccant in there would definitely be a help too.

Cheers Dave. I will have to work out how i do it because i've got two tiny people at home who will want to go touchy touchy the daddy's astronomy thingy. Maybe i can give it a good wipe before bringing it in and then leave it on the sofa for the entire night and then pack it away in the morning before heading off to work?

Any other suggestions on keeping the mount in pristine working conditions would be very welcomed :)

Archived