NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hexafoc woes

Hi everyone. Explore Scientific tell me I must return my telescope for the focuser to be collimated: the Hexafoc Focuser can only be collimated by them.

All I'm trying to do is adjust it so that the red dot from my laser hits the centre of the objective of my 152s. Why won't they issue instructions as to how to adjust this focuser? There are grub screws and even knurled knobs all around it but ES will not disclose what they are for. No documentation. So frustrating. Anyone? TIA.

To be honest if that was my scope I'd put the laser in the focuser and start gingerly adjusting those knobs and screws until the dot moves...  If you mess it up it'll have to go back but it'll need to go back anyway so nothing lost!  Theres no way I could have several screws and adjusters on my scope and not know what they do, that would drive me mad.

***I'm not suggesting this is what you should do... only saying what I would do in this situation!  If there's evidence you've tampered with the screws then send it back ES may invalidate the warranty!***

Does either the laser or  1.25"-2" adaptor have an undercut? I've found that the 2" adaptor is the weak link  in the focuser and doesn't hold anything with an undercut squarely. 

From what I remember there are a couple of thumbscrews on top for adjusting the stiffness of the focuser and a larger lock knob underneath.  In line with the friction knobs are some grub screws that I think adjust the angle of the glide plates inside the focuser. There  is one either side of each friction knob. On my dob the grub screw the tube side is actually hidden under the mounting plate so to adjust it you have to take the focuser out of the mounting plate. I would think you would only have to adjust this if the focuser is collimated at certain extensions but not others. 

Lastly, but where my dob will differ from your 152s, there is a mounting plate holding the focuser to the newt with grub screws separated by 90°. However, there is a small bit of adjustment available there by losening the screws, tilting the focuser in the appropriate direction, and tightening them up again. 

Hi. Thanks. Yeah, the two knurled knobs on top of the focuser seem to do nothing on mine. Loose or tight, nada. Anyway, a bit of a breakthrough; I think I've managed to get past the sales department and onto someone who uses the terms grub screw and collimate. Progress. I'll report if I get an official ES POV. If not, it's suck and see. Clear skies.

Archived