Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 ...Testing out the home made wedge.

Dippus

Hi all.

First bit of DSO work since March . Did a quick drift align ( still cant nail it ) and the skies were still pretty clear . So i bolted my Canon Rebel XT onto the 80mm . Slewed towards M27 , and focused through the viewfinder.

Pretty pleased with what the Canon spat out.

4 X 3 min subs.

Don't know what the streaks are in the corners. Camera chip too big , or poor drift alignment ?

Mark

post-13346-133877344297_thumb.jpg

Mark,

Nice widefield shot, I'd be happy with that. The streaks in the corners are coma made worse with a little 'drift' due to alignment, (3 mins is a long time unguided if not fully polar aligned). As you have already pointed out, you have a relatively big chip and the field generated by your scope is curving up at the edges (telescopes are designed to produce images for regfistration on a curved surface i.e. your retina not a flat plane such as a camera ccd unfortunately, though the central portion is relatively flat). I passed your image through CCD Inspector (see below) and this confirms it. A field flatner for your 80mm would reduce this.

All in all though a pretty good shot that you should be pleased about.

Steve.

post-13953-133877344304_thumb.jpg

Archived