Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Restoration project

DanDare

This scope was made by Fred Jobson around 30 something years ago, when he fell ill, his daughter took the scope to her house and it has spent most of the following 22 years in a garden shed. Fred was, I understand a keen telescope maker, (he also made longbows; crossbows; model ships and walking sticks). His daughter is now moving house and could not take the scope with her - it was destined for the bonfire. This is where I stepped in,I picked it up last night and its now residing in my garage.

center]7412_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Of course, I would dearly love to be posting a picture of it gleamingly restored, with gleaming brass and varnish and me standing beside it with a smug look on my face. :D However, back in the real world I have to shout HELP!!! I've never attempted anything like this before and only have basic DIY skills so be warned I'll be coming to you guys for some hints and advice in the coming weeks/months(years).

It has a 10" mirror, which isn't in bad shape given the age - just one ot two very light scratches. So question one: Is this going to be a big issue?

The 'scope is 6' long, the focal lenght is, I think, 70".

It needs a new focusser, the spider is rusted but I may be able to save it. The secondary mirror has some marks, but I'll need to examine in a bit more closely. I had to saw the "legs" off the mount to get it in my car, but being wood thay had started to rot at the bottom anyway. The rest of the mount is all metal, is rusting quite badly, bolts and screws are either shearing off or rusted in tight. So for starters when I got home from work this evening I sprayed every nut, bolt and screw with some WD40.

There are a number of other issues with it but I think that the above is enough to be getting on with :D

Cheers.

Roy

Hi Roy. It certainly looks different - a bit of a conversation piece. As to the scratches on the mirror, you say that they are 'light' in which case they may be confined to the reflective coating, which will need to be replaced anyway. If the glass is scratched, it really depends on how many there are and how long and deep they are. If it's only one or two, then the effect is likely to be unnoticed. If there are many, then the mirror may need to be refigured. Do you know who made it or what quality it is? There's no point in spending money on rubbish, particulary since reasonably figured mirrors can be had new for a price that won't break the bank. You could get it tested - I'm sure there are a few glass grinders on SGL who may be willing to check its figure for you and give you an opinion of its optical worth. Of course, you could make Focault tester and do it yourself. Plenty of guidance on the net or in my favourite book, NE Howard's Handbook for Telescope Making (out of print but available cheap on Amazon).

Thanks Beetlejuice, it's a home made mirror and I think that there are just two very small scratches about 1cm long, as you say they it may just be the coating thats affected. Maybe once I've got the mirror out it will give me a better idea of what its like, I might possibly give it a light clean, (using distilled water, sterilised cotton wool and PH neutral soap). I'll check out the book and the web for a Focault tester, good suggestions.

Roy

Thanks Beetlejuice, it's a home made mirror and I think that there are just two very small scratches about 1cm long, as you say they it may just be the coating thats affected. Maybe once I've got the mirror out it will give me a better idea of what its like, I might possibly give it a light clean, (using distilled water, sterilised cotton wool and PH neutral soap). I'll check out the book and the web for a Focault tester, good suggestions.

Roy

Oh well, in that case I woudn't worry - not likely to have any noticeable effect. Looks like an interesting project. I'd love to do something like that myself. No time unfortunately.

WOW! Looks like a project and a half you've taken on there,Roy!

Trust you will keep us all up dated with your progress.

Ron (barkis) is an 'Old Grinder'. :D I'm sure he will be able to offer sound advise in that regard.

Cheers

CW

Ha! yes, as i was driving home with it I kept thinking to myself "what am I doing?".

Looks like the sort of cracking project that would get me fired! :mrgreen:

If you need help, I can help with all things brass brass - just promise you won't get the Brasso out! If the mirrors need a recoat, Terry at Vacuum coatings is the man -I've used him for years and reckon he's the best there is. It's unlikely with a mirror that size that small scratches will cause an issue really, but a new coat will make all the difference.

Wow, I really wish I was doin' that one. It looks like a fantastic scope project, and i'm sure it'll come out looking wonderful.

I'm away for a few weeks from today, but feel free to shout when I'm back if you need any help / advise I can be caught at TH (just ask for the workshops). Mark Parrish is also a good guy to speak to - a great chap with this sort of thing. I'm hoping he's going to help me when I get round to doing Patrick's 12.5" later on.

Good Luck

Steve

Wow !

As the Italians would say, "piano, piano" - little bit by little bit . That'll be the way to go. Don't attempt a particular job if your gut tells you you're not sure- get help and advice. I'm sure you will do this telescope justice and personally wish you Roy all the best-look forward to seeing the end result( at some point) :D

Good for you for wanting to try :thumbright:

Karlo

Steve - many thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you.

Karlo - thanks for the tip and your comments.

I was in two minds about taking this on, what swayed it for me was that I just KNEW that I would be getting excellent advice and support from all you guys & gals on SGL. :salute:

Cheers

Roy

Removed the mirror cell and mirror yesterday and had a closer look at it. Oh dear! its in a worse state that I thought - looks like its been used as a rink by a spider wearing ice skates :crybaby:

I'll have to get it looked at for a verdict, hopefully it will be saveable.

Cracking on in the meantime:

center]7502_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

center]7503_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

7504_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Lots of rust, sheared bolts etc etc but getting there. I think this is going to be the easy bit :D

Roy

Hi. Roy.

That is one challenging project you have chosen to take on.

It is a very unusual construction, but mostly in the mount. The skeletal tube is fairly conventional.

I don't know if you have a minds eye, but I can see a very attractive finished article.

If it would be of any help, I have a book by NE Howard which will show you how to make a simple Foucault tester, and how to use it. You will need to remove the mirror old coating. Easily done with Sodium Hydroxide . Just sprinkle some over the surface after you have just covered it with water.

Do this carefully, as there is quite a heat generated. Wear rubber gloves to, and protect your eyes.

Let me know if you want the book, and I will post it to you.

Ron.

Ron - Very kind of you but I think I'll get the mirror over to Vacuum Coatings for them to look at, I know its going to more expensive but probably best to get it looked at by a pro.

Doc - I don't think I'll be taking it to any star parties, I only just got it in my car by sawing 8" off the legs of the mount :D .

But I'll invite you all around to have peek when its done.

Archived