Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Status of Mars imaging?

Atlas

I haven't been able to do any planetary imaging in a couple years since I was over in Germany (terrible weather/seeing conditions). I retired the 10" Newt and just picked up a nice Schmidt-Cassegrain 12" F/10 today from a friend (thanks Paul!). I've retired to my hometown of Pittsfield, Maine and I noticed that Mars and Uranus are the only 2 planetary objects in view for a while. I know I missed the Mars opposition but I'm hoping to get some imaging done in the next couple weeks. Is mars a decent target or will I be subjecting myself to the imagers curse of poor details due to distance?

Also... Hi everyone! I'm back! :)

2 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Unless you have a good horizon to the South you will struggle with Mars as it is really low. Neptune is also available and a bit higher than Mars.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I do have a good horizon for Mars (If I can tolerate the cold), but Neptune should be a nice challenge. It's the one planet I haven't actually seen before.

- Joe

It has a disc of 8 arc seconds so its not that big :( I've only gotten into astrophotography this week so I couldn't image it either. But I loved observing it, Saturn and Jupiter over the summer. I know Mars is very pesky to photograph, since it can only be seen well every few years or so but looking at your telescopes specs compared to mine, you can probably see it and photograph it quite alot better than I can currently!

Clear Skies! :thumbsup:

Archived