NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter Last Night - An Extra Satellite?

Neon

I had my best view of Jupiter last night. The seeing conditions were pretty good from my location, but there was something strange that I couldn't identify. Here's what I could see:

jupiter.jpg

Anyone know what the object in the green circle would be?

Thanks

Mark

Cheers Tom,

I thought it must be something like that, but the magnitude of the object was virtually the same as Jupiters' moons and it didn't change position throughout the night, forming a rough equilateral triangle.

Just thought it look a little odd and wondered if anyone else might have caught a glimpse.

Hi Mark

I saw it last night as well. It looked very simliar to an event last year when asteroid Vesta transited Jupiter at roughly the same angle.

Stellarium didn't really identify it.

Thanks Tom for the info

Scott

Yeah, my first look at jupiter and I saw 5 moons . . . But the other 'moon' was twice the distance of the furthest one and I wasnt altogether certain it was. Needless to say, it was still in the same position the next night, and the night after that. It was a star. (But you lot already knew that . . . :D)

Archived