Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Edge HD 8 second image - NGC 7023

Hampered by clouds but got a few images (16 300s x 1600iso). This is a new scope for me and I just starting with PI for processing. I know more images are needed to get more details, but a little unsure if I need longer exposures foran object like Iris.

Celestron Edge HD 8

Celestron f7 Reducer

Celestron AVX with Celestron Starsense

Guiding - Astro-Tech 60mm and QHY 5-ll C

Canon EOS 550D mod. with Astronomik CLS clip filter.

NGC7023_Ferdig_b_1.jpg

Nice image and excellent start ! Looks like the stars are slightly oblong if you zoom on image . This could be poor tracking with PhD . What RMS do you get in PhD ? If your RA is much higher than your Dec then this is the issue, Could be periodic error or numerous other mount issues. 

Another excellent image Kenneth ! Your stars are still a little oblong though . Your total rms 0.18 is exceptional and Dec is almost the same as RA ! Are you sure you imputed the correct guide scope focal length and pixel size ? I'm assuming your not imaging in the uk ? I can't see skies that good anywhere on this island. If your graph is true then the issue definitely isn't your mount ! Maybe flexture ?? How is the guide scope attached ? 

Thanks Ken82, you put your finger right on the problem. The PH2 was set to the wrong focal length. Now all I have to do is wait for another night with clear skies which does not happen that often. I live in western Norway so I get about the same weather that you have, but when the sky is clear "it really is clear".

Archived