NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which CCD Webcam and Software?

I'm hoping to get my wee nephew interested in astronomy and I thought that getting some good lunar and planetary pics might help. Can anyone suggest a CCD webcam that's under £50 that would do the job? And would I need any adaptors to attach it to the telescope?

It's for a (badly underused) 8" reflector.

Thanks.

That wasn't too tricky. I took pictures as I went along and I'll post them up separately.

The first thing I did was install the webcam on the laptop to check that it works ok. The disc that came with it was for Windows Vista but it installed on my Win 10 64bit laptop without too much trouble. It did throw up an error during installation but I just clicked "ok" and it continued with the installation.

Here it is before I started......

01.jpg

13 hours ago, Mikey07 said:

The imaging software recommended in the link below is RegiStax.....

https://nightskyinfocus.com/equipment/imaging-planets-using-webcams/

Is there anything better out there or will this do the job for me?

I find autostakkert easier to use for stacking, and then load up registax for the slider bit, before a final tweak in photoshop (although any decent editing program will be fine)

http://www.autostakkert.com/wp/download/

3 hours ago, Mick J said:

What software are you using for capture Mikey, something like SharpCap, lots of help on this thread, remember the Philips is USB1 and low frame rates are recomended to avoid compression and loss of data.

Funnily enough I was just about to start checking that out so thanks for the tip. If the cloud ever clears I'll be able to put it all into action!

I'll have a great view of the moon in the south west tomorrow morning/early afternoon if the weather plays ball.

It looks as though the weather will be kind tomorrow and I should be able to see the moon quite clearly early in the afternoon. Any tips on how long my video capture should be and are there any issues with doing this in daylight?

Thanks.

Archived