NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Build A Model Solar System

Periscope

Whilst waiting for my wife (looking at womens clothes) I decided to have a quick look in WH Smiths next door (you know what I mean, womens cloths shops, BORING) and I happend to pick up Build A Model Solar System Issue 11. Hmm! interesting I thought, but wait a minute, is this one of those weekly Build A Model ...........Whatever? which if, Build A Model Victory was anything to go by, then it's a sheer waste of money.

Being a ship modeller, I decided to strat collecting the Build A Victory and after issue 6, cancelled my subscription, because the quality of some of the parts were not even of a decent quality. This model of the Victory if completed would have cost just over £600 for the period it was due to run.

For £695 you can buy an excellent 5 foot long model of HMS Victory from a firm called Caldercraft and the parts are superb. I have built one of their smaller kits and they are second to none.

Anyway, getting back to Build A Model Solar System. I went on their website for more information and looking at the video they show you and a close up of the finished model of this ORRERY, which even Sir Patrick has complimented on. I was just wondering is anyone is building this weekly series of parts? The sample I have with Part 11 shows parts for assembling the Earth gears and they are good solid brass and look well machined too.

I am tempted to actually build this model, as Orreries, actually fascinate me, with all the different gear ratios, more like a complicated clock.

Your views please, if you are collecting this series?

Geoff

hi geoff i am building this orrery model myself and as a trainned engineer i have to tell you this is a superbly engineered solid brass model and well worth taking a look at all the planets are hand painted ive just recieved Jupiter and the brass gearing and other parts have been coated to prevent tarnishing when finished it will be driven by electric motor this definatley gets a 9/10 from myself and just to add to this i have looked at other orrery models built to a similar standard and the only one which came close cost nearly £2,000 REGARDS Pete :wav:

Thank you for that report Peter, I know quality when I see, being a model builder myself. The part I have is good and well machined, not like the Victory parts in that series, which was pretty dissapointing for the total cost of the whole series.

I have now took out a subscription and look forward to receiving it.

Geoff

Yes I have ordered Issues 1, 2, & 3 as well as my subscription which I have been told, will start with Issue 20 to 24. I will have to keep ordering three or four back issues every month, until I catch up with the current issue. Trouble is, it will cost me twice as much per month, until I catch up. I have been told that I will still qualify for the 1st issue at £1.99 plus 1 free issue and the tool kit and the first binder. I have opted to not have the binders sent automatically when they are due, but may decide to have them later.

I am also going to put each set of parts away, sealed in their packets, until I have the whole kit, before I start to assemble it. This will help to keep everything pristine, although the parts are coated.

Geoff

Got my subscrirtion issue today 20 to 23, with 1 to 6 in the post. I reckon that if I order 3 back issues every fortnight, it will only take 3 months to catch up. I will then be in line with everyone else.

I must say that I am quite pleased with the quality of the parts and Jupiter looks very well represented. All going in a storage box, until the whole kit of parts have been collected. Then I will spend a few evenings getting it all assembled. The magazines are quite interesting too, although it is the model which has convinced me to buy this series.

Geoff

Got my subscrirtion issue today 20 to 23, with 1 to 6 in the post. I reckon that if I order 3 back issues every fortnight, it will only take 3 months to catch up. I will then be in line with everyone else.

I must say that I am quite pleased with the quality of the parts and Jupiter looks very well represented. All going in a storage box, until the whole kit of parts have been collected. Then I will spend a few evenings getting it all assembled. The magazines are quite interesting too, although it is the model which has convinced me to buy this series.

Geoff

When you have all the pieces Geoff, don't forget the pics 8)

Enjoy.

Jeff.

• 4 weeks later...

Issues 24-27 this week, incorporating Saturn too - anyone else disappointed with Jupiter's Red Spot?? Looked so cheaply printed on there, I'm looking at maybe painting it on there myself, can't do any worse a job than has already been done......

Still waiting for issues 24 to 27 to arrive. Jupiter's red spot is quite good on my particular part, maybe some look better than others. As I only started collecting this series with issues 20 to 23, I have had to order back issues to catch up. I am ordering these, three issues at a time every fortnight and so far have received issues 1 to 6, with issues 7 to 9 & 11 to 13 on their way. I skipped ordering issue 10, as I bought this issue from WH Smith's which got me interested in collecting Build A Model Solar System. So far I am very impressed with all the parts :) and I have stored all of them away, until I have the complete collection of parts. Then I will start to build it.

Geoff :salute:

• 1 month later...

Just got the latest issues today - Uranus looks lovely, if somewhat more stripy than I thought it would :smiley: 5 more issues and counting......although there should be no planets next month, just gears and bits - in case you wondered, here are the remaining issue release weeks:

w/c 18/10 – 32-35

w/c 15/11 – 36-39 (Neptune)

w/c 13/12 – 40-43 (Pluto)

w/c 10/1/2009 – 44-47 (Eris)

w/c 7/2/2009 – 48-51

My issues 28 to 31 arrived this morning and I agree, Uranus does seem rather banded, or stripy as you put it Bufferz. :smiley:

With these issues, I also received a packet containing several sizes of screws, but there is no mention as to what issue these come with. Any idea? Unless they are spares in case you loose any that come with each issue. There is no mention as to what they are for. Just waiting for back issues 14 to 19 to arrive and this will bring me up to date, with all the parts issued so far.

Geoff. :salute:

Archived