Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dual set-up for imaging and visual

So after my first post on this forum asking for a first telescope advice, I had to go back to the drawing table as I found myself overwhelmed by all the jargon (which was a good thing)
Since then, I've ordered and read the book Making every photon count, bought a new DSLR (Nikon 810) + 14mm-24mm lens for landscape astrophotography, so far so good.
 I currently have an additional budget available of approx. 5.000 EUR for a new telescope set-up.

I am looking for an 8 or 10 inch Newt for DSO imaging (not worried or afraid of a steep learning curve or collimation) and was wondering if it is possible to go for a dual set-up with an additional scope for visual only in my budget range aswell as an EQ mount to match.
If I am not mistaken, i can use a Newt for both imaging as well as visual however was hoping for some additional convenience with an extra scope on the same EQ mount for visual enjoyment only.

Is there anyone with a similar dual set-up  +EQ mount that can show an example of their set-up and shed some additional light on their experiences?

Thank you kindly in advance,

Goud

I don't know anyone who does observing and imaging simultaneously on the same mount. Probably because it's totally impractical - imaging depends on total absence of vibration, and having observers buzzing round an imaging rig is counter intuitive. Even footsteps around the tripod can spoil images.

Dual rigs are usually used to support the imaging scope and a guiding scope on the same mount - and operated from a pc screen. Hth :)

Just now, brantuk said:

I don't know anyone who does observing and imaging simultaneously on the same mount. Probably because it's totally impractical - imaging depends on total absence of vibration, and having observers buzzing round an imaging rig is counter intuitive. Even footsteps around the tripod can spoil images.

Dual rigs are usually used to support the imaging scope and a guiding scope on the same mount - and operated from a pc screen. Hth :)

Was half way through typing this, beat me to it.

to support an imaging newtonian and another scope say for guiding you will need an EQ mount capable of carrying that amount of weight, the Skywatcher NEQ6 is a very good mount. For dual setups you will need a vixen side by side mounting system https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm-v-series-side-by-side-mounting-system.html

If your looking to do long exposures then you will 100% need a guide camera. The Orion Starshoot autoguiding camera is a good starter. Attach this to for example an 80mm refractor and you have your guidescope. I have been doing a lot of research my self into a side by side astrophotography setup. 

Hope this helps!

18 minutes ago, brantuk said:

My intention is not to do simultaneous observing and imaging but one or the other.
For convenience purposes i would assume this could be a practical way of using 2 telescopes on 1 mount without the need to switch eyepieces.

14 minutes ago, Yamez said:

to support an imaging newtonian and another scope say for guiding you will need an EQ mount capable of carrying that amount of weight, the Skywatcher NEQ6 is a very good mount. For dual setups you will need a vixen side by side mounting system https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm-v-series-side-by-side-mounting-system.html

If your looking to do long exposures then you will 100% need a guide camera. The Orion Starshoot autoguiding camera is a good starter. Attach this to for example an 80mm refractor and you have your guidescope. I have been doing a lot of research my self into a side by side astrophotography setup. 

Hope this helps!

So if i understand correctly, i would be able to choose a dual set-up with the vixen side by side mounting with 1 newt + guidescope/camera piggybackriding the newt + an additional scope for observation purposes (not used simultaneous, merely for convenience?)
If this is not common due to weight/budget challenges, i might be better off abandoning this idea.

9 minutes ago, Goudboog said:

So if i understand correctly, i would be able to choose a dual set-up with the vixen side by side mounting with 1 newt + guidescope/camera piggybackriding the newt + an additional scope for observation purposes (not used simultaneous, merely for convenience?)

This should be possible but just to make sure when looking at the items online look at the weight and then combine them to find out the total weight, though the NEQ6 mount can hold up to 18kg which is quite a lot. An 8" newtonian which is a very big telescope wighs around 8kg leaving you 10 more kg for other scope and accessories 

Well,Yes Abandon :) and things will be more easy. 

Bulky, Long, Heavy stuff can become a nightmare in the beginning for Balancing,Wind,dew on secondary etc....

Get a medium sized good sharp optics  ( 80 mm ed Refractor with a dedicated flattner or reducer ) for example.

Neq 6 or all similar category will be fine. Eventualy when u r experienced , go for side by side imaging.

Its very much possibile .

Cheers

Rush

Archived