Elephant Trunk with 50mm 1.8 stm and 1200D.

It is there, honest, but it is very tiny!

This was from last night, 20 X 5.5 min subs with Darks, Bias and Flats, F%, tracked on a HEQ5, DSS, PS etc.

I love taking these widefields because I have no idea what to expect! As this unfolded during processing I felt a bit like like an explorer (Stargeezer Tim of the Milky Way, not Scott of the Antarctic...) charting new territory. :icon_biggrin:

Hope you enjoy it...

Elephant part done crop.jpg

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Beautiful Image!:thumbright:  Is your 1200D astro modded?  do you use any kind of LP filter for 5.5min subs?

Craig

Hi Craig... i used a uhc filter for this one... and it is modded. Got it recently from cheapastrophotography for a reasonable cost! Cheers, Tim.

2 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

I've never heard of that one! Must get my scope to work on it when the moon and clouds buzz off... Cheers.

It's a very faint object, consider yourself warned. ;) Here's a recent effort by a member, even using 15 minute subs using an f2.8 lens it's a bit noisy. The OIII squid is even fainter, it was only discovered in 2011 by amateur Nicolas Outters.

Archived