NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion

adavies660

More data is always good (well--more good data).  The fringes of the nebula are a bit grainy.  You have stretched fairly hard.  More data will smooth this out.  I like the scale and framing--is this a crop?  Stars look a tad large.  Focus?

Ah yes , you know its getting colder when a nice M42 pop's up on the screen

same advice as Rodd, regarding the data, something is causing the stars to bloat and go a bit mauve,

but M42 colours don't look far off

What was your set up, to get this shot.

well done Paul

Thanks Paul, I used a Canon 600D (unmodded) Altair ED80, IOptron CEM60 mount, Altair 70mm guide scope, PhD, DSS and BYE for capture. I am planning on getting a motor focus for the scope as it does move slightly when you tighten the screw to lock focus. I think that is not helping.. I also need a focal reducer and field flattener for it. hence the crop, I get terrible vignetting on the corners and can't seem to get rid even using flats. 

I don't know how you blended the Trapezium data (which I guess was shorter than the rest?) but there is a colour shift there which shouldn't be too hard to fix. (It's a bit yellow around the Trap, I'd say?) You probably don't need much more data for the main nebula but you have a very long way to go on the outlying dust if you feel like going for it. M42 doesn't lie in black background sky but in a background of brown dusty nebulsoity with interestng structure contained within it. These take many times longer to pull out than than the bright nebulae. Rewarding, though!

Olly

Archived