Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which CCD camera - advice appreciated

Parallax

Currently I'm using a webcam for imaging and am beginning to realise its' limitations. So, time to condsider a proper CCD me thinks.

I have been looking on the internet at various cameras and their specs and I think that I fancy an Atik 16ic-s mono. My question is, is this suitable for the Explorer 200? I have read that you should aim for 2.5 arc seconds per pixel but with this setup I would only be getting around 1.7. Is this OK? Or (heaven forbid) have I got the wrong scope??? I do appreciate that the FOV will not be much more than that of the webcam. To increase the FOV I may be able to push the budget to a 314E but its' pixels are smaller than the 16ic-s giving me even less arc seconds/pixel. Should I be looking at a different camera/setup altogether?

I plan to start guiding and intend to purchase a ST80, so I suppose I could image with that and guide with the 200?

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Steve

Archived