Where to view near Bristol?

Hi - I'm new to Astronomy and having enjoyed reading through threads on this site have opted for a basic way in and will be using tripod mounted binoculars for the time being!

The question I have is what sorts of places do people use when gardens aren't an option?

My home garden is small, surrounded on most sides by Leylandii with most of the skyline obstructed. To make matters worse a near neighbour has great big lamps illuminating his gardens and drive which he leaves on all night (bills must not be an issue!).

So I am looking to get out of my garden and out of Bristol to get better views. Any suggestions? I am on the East side of Bristol towards Bath but happy to drive a reasonable distance.

Look forward to reading your suggestions.

Greg

We were out at Charterhouse on the Mendip Hills on Sunday and the Study Centre there has a nice dome :shocked:

It's around 900 feet up and in a bowl in the hills so I reckon the skies would be pretty dark up there.

John

Charterhouse brings back some memories (Miserable cold nights tramping around as scouts!). Whereabouts did you position yourselves, up by the masts?

Greg

We were there in the daytime, walking around the old Roman and Victorian lead workings in the area - then down for a cream tea in Cheddar :shocked:

John

Better directions than the pm I sent. Go to the a46 roundabout where you can turn right to bath. Go straight across on the a420. Past white hart pub on left. Past free range eggs sign. Just after the warning sign about deer there is a right turn to cold ashton. Drive along this road for 100 off metres and the field is on the left

• 7 months later...
Better directions than the pm I sent. Go to the a46 roundabout where you can turn right to bath. Go straight across on the a420. Past white hart pub on left. Past free range eggs sign. Just after the warning sign about deer there is a right turn to cold ashton. Drive along this road for 100 off metres and the field is on the left

Hi there,

Can you let me know of details of this place, is it free or is it part of a club and what evenings etc,

many thanks.

Neil

• 2 years later...

Hey Bristol based peeps

I have recently started going to the Bristol astronomical society and they have an observatory on the outskirts of Bristol.

They meet on Fridays at Bristol Grammar School. Why not come along, and find out the details.

http://www.bristolastrosoc.org.uk/wb/index.php

I also believe the Bath group use a site out at Marshfeild (off the A420 somewhere)

Ive been looking for somewhere darker to view as well, but i do have a garden thats not too obstructed so have been using that for now

Hope this helps

Stick

• 3 months later...

Funny to find out that this was my old thread.

So I never got round to doing a massive amount of viewing, just the odd occasion when we've been away camping. But for my girlfriend's birthday I bought her an Astromaster 130eq.

Last night we spent some time on the moon (we were only in the front garden with lots of streetlighting), but also managed to pick out a nice view of Saturn.

Now we need to get some good dark skies, and some knowledge!

May well check out the Bristol society.

Archived