SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece advice on C9.25

Greetings everybody.

I am contemplating the purchase of a Celestron C9.25 OTA (on an EQ6) for visual use on planets etc.

I realise that a Newtonian reflector would be much cheaper but I prefer the compactness and ease of use of the C9.25.

I am not planning to do any astrophotography.

I understand that a William Optics 2" Dielectric Diagonal may be a useful addition.

Alternatively, should I just stick with the supplied diagonal?

Lastly and most importantly, which eyepieces (say 3) should I start with for a SCT?

I have heard Baader Hyperion and Williams eyepieces mentioned favourably.

Any help will be gratefully received.

The William Optics 2" diagonal is excellent quality. The same image quality can be had with the Revelation diagonal at a much lower cost. I'd choose that and spend the cash on better eyepieces.

Important for a C9.25 is a 10mm eyepiece. This gives a nice x235 for planets. My choice was the Vixen NLV - now replaced with the SLV. Excellent image quality with 20mm eye relief.

For deep sky something like a 38mm or 26mm PanaView would work nicely with a C9.25 and 2" diagonal. Having a f10 focal length means it's not too demanding on eyepieces.

I have the WO 2" diagonal for mine connected via a Baader click lock.  The choice EPs for use with my 9.25 SCT are a 40mm Celestron Omni, an amazing bargain and a 14mm Explore Scientific 82'. I do have a 10mm Baader Hyperion but it needs remarkable seeing conditions to use to its potential.  That said, it provides great views of the Moon.

I have recently purchased the 9.25 Evolution, and following the advice given by Tring Astronomy, I can say I am very pleased with the following:

Standard supplied diagonal

25mm and 9mm Celestron X-Cel eyepieces

Latest purchase (this week) 18mm and 7mm X-Cel eyepieces, and variable filter as the moon is so bright it made my eye hurt.

Hope this helps

Terry

ps      Best add-on by a mile was StarSense. I can set it up whilst still sitting indoors with a glass of wine

Archived