NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 6960 - Witch's Broom

Brent

First time out this season on the 11th September after 17 weeks of no setting up.

To be honest I'd have just been happy to remember how to set up after that long but I also got an image (of sorts!) to boot.

Interestingly, guiding was absolutely atrocious with a range of +/-5 arc seconds (the larger spikes seem to come every 6 mins or so, so I'm assuming they're all dithering related?). Screenshot of guiding also below, help very welcome.

Just 18x300s of lights, 50 flats and 50 bias, so not much to work with and it shows!

The rest of my kit is in my sig, thanks for looking.

PHD2_Log_11092016.PNG

WitchesBroom_18x300s_ISO800_PS-Fin_8bit.png

2 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

I like that image. To me, it looks somewhat like a bipedal dinosaur, with tiny arms, leaning forward, chasing after some juicy morsel ...

[When they come for me, I promise I won't resist ...]

I can see that myself now, great description! :happy7:

And let's face it, I think we could all be dragged away by the men in white coats, what with obsessing about graphs and standing out in minus temperatures for countless hours :grin:. So I won't tell if you don't :wink:

That's a nice capture. :)

Curious about your guiding graph though. Should dithering show up as correction?
Not sure if i even have dithering enabled to be honest, but i've never seen those spikes at regular intervals in my PHD graph. All other sorts of weird issues for sure, but never those spikes.

If you dither than yes--the RMS error blows up--that's why you should put a minute delay or so between subs.  Some do 30 sec, 45 sec.  I do 60 sec.  Seems to work.  Your stars are nice and small/round despite the seemingly atrocious guide graph.  I have found that the guide graph (rms errors), do not tell the whole story--obviously!:icon_biggrin:

Archived