NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

From SE8 to 10" f4.7 dob...what ep's

Bigwings

My f10 SE8 SCT was forgiving with its EPs. My new dob is f4.7 and I need over time to replace the stock EPs for something better.

I read somewhere that over 36mm EP's  presented problems with exit pupils to large for normal pupil sizes....

I would like a good wide field EP but I need to understand the above problem.

??Thinking  

Aero ED SWA 2"

but  35mm or 40mm that is one question.

Sorry guys no green on black advice needed...not on a pension lol.

Thanks

At low power, the exit pupil can be quite large.  This means the contrast with faint objects is not great.  Also, some of the available light might be wasted - not really a problem with bright objects.  But you will still be able to enjoy wide angle views of starfields.  

I'm quite happy to use 42 and 50mm EPs in my f/5 frac for that very reason.

Doug.

A frac can cope with larger exit pupils as there is no risk of seeing the shadow of the secondary.

A 40mm eyepiece in an f4.7 scope will give you an 8.5mm exit pupil, a 35mm will give 7.4mm.

Your maximum pupil size tends to reduce as you age, I can't remember the basic formula but it is not unlikely that you will have a maximum of 6 or even 5mm. Plenty of light will be wasted, plus large exit pupils tend to result in washed out images if you live somewhere with any degree of light pollution.

I might be tempted to stick to a 28mm 82 degree which will give you a 5.9mm exit pupil, x42 mag and 1.95 degree fov.

3 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Stu's point:

A frac can cope with larger exit pupils as there is no risk of seeing the shadow of the secondary.

........is of course highly relevant to Bigwings' situation with a Dob, compared to mine, with a frac!

Thanks for pointing it out!

Doug.

Thanks Doug.

The vital piece of info I don't have is when you do actually start to see the secondary shadow in a Newt. I think up to 9 or 10mm is probably ok, but perhaps someone else can comment.

What is clearer is the fact that large exit pupils do not mix well with any form of LP. Under a very dark sky they can be great, but result in a washed out view with a brighter sky background.

On 10/09/2016 at 13:25, Stu said:

A 40mm eyepiece in an f4.7 scope will give you an 8.5mm exit pupil, a 35mm will give 7.4mm.

Your maximum pupil size tends to reduce as you age, I can't remember the basic formula but it is not unlikely that you will have a maximum of 6 or even 5mm. Plenty of light will be wasted, plus large exit pupils tend to result in washed out images if you live somewhere with any degree of light pollution.

I might be tempted to stick to a 28mm 82 degree which will give you a 5.9mm exit pupil, x42 mag and 1.95 degree fov.

Thanks guys, (and Steve at FLO)

The first EP is ordered, I have gone for a Panavision 26mm given that I'm very mature and probably have pupils of tiny proportions . I should manage an exit pupil of 5.5 and a x46 magnification. I do like M42 and it fits in just nice.  I guess the next on the shopping list will be a Barlow.

Archived