NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LX 200R setup

vlebo

Hello everyone.

This may appear a silly question ,but I am still a novice to astronomy. I am about to set up my scope for the first time and was wondering if, once set up ,you leave the finderscope and the electronic focuser etc permanently on the ota or do you take the whole thing apart everytime you use it.

STILL WAITING FOR A CLEAR NIGHT

Vlebo

Well, since mine lives in bags, yes, I have to dismantle all mine. If it stays set-up, then dont. Just remeber, you dont want any sticky-out bits if you are packing it away if there is any chance of it resting and stressing the parts. Its not worth breaking / misaligning it. All mine is broken down to its individual parts, the OTA lives in a well padded tripod bag, and the mount doesnt have a case. I have to dismantle it to get it into the car anyway . . . .

Thanks Phillydee

Mine stays in a wardrobe in the Garage where it has enough room to stand up with the ota facing up. so I assume I can leave it all assembeled ?.

Vlebo

As long as there is nothing coming into contact with anything on the optical train to cause stresses, your storage arrangements are more than adequate, and probably preferable to constantly taking part which unfortunately is a necessity for most, but not a problem.

Steve..

It's probably better to store it in a garage in regards of ease of access anyway, you can just wheel it out on a "scope buggy" or a home made version to your observing site, I would just leave it assembled and cover it with a cotton sheet or similar, but NOT plastic sheet as this can lead to condensation and is not recommended.

Scope Buggy Link, http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=29

You can also view the mapug site "Meade advanced products users group" for other versions of transporter but for some unknown reason i can't connect to it?

Jeff.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Today I am going to go for it and put it all together and you never know , if last night was anything to go by , I might have a clear night and actually start using it.

Thanks again

Vlebo

Archived