SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which camera for DSO's?

MARS1960

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

If I were to list my top hundred failures in life I would blame all of them on self restraint...

Olly

Haha, i guess that's why i do what i do.

My wife and i were thinking just the other day that we should take the Aston over to the south of France next year, maybe i break at Les Granges is just what we need in more ways than one.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

Haha, i guess that's why i do what i do.

My wife and i were thinking just the other day that we should take the Aston over to the south of France next year, maybe i break at Les Granges is just what we need in more ways than one.

Astons are always welcome here, (:blob9:) though I warn you that I have what Mr Clarkson called the best British sports car ever made. He did concede, though, that it might be considered, well, er, so to speak... Japanese.

:Dlly

7 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Astons are always welcome here, (:blob9:) though I warn you that I have what Mr Clarkson called the best British sports car ever made. He did concede, though, that it might be considered, well, er, so to speak... Japanese.

:Dlly

Lol, Japanese it maybe but it is almost true, (you'll know what i mean if you ever get a chance to drive a GMR designs supercharged V8 vantage roadster) i keep trying to persuade the wifey to have one but it's the same old story, were will the grand kids sit.

Us doing the Brooklands hill climb this year, 9.31.

An interesting thread, I think I have the trait of always thinking my imaging will get better if I buy ever more expensive kit. When I took up this hobby again after a long break I did the research and based on this and my own previous experience invested in a good mount (which I don't regret for a millisecond), imaged briefly with a DSLR and decided I needed a cooled CCD. My research  convinced me mono was the way to go but a limited budget and impatience got the better of me and I purchased a second hand Atik 314 OSC. 

Now this camera is WAY better than the DSLR and images small, relatively bright DSOs really well. Spurred on by my initial success, I have tried to image some emission nebulae and have been a bit disappointed with the results, and am looking at equipment again.

However, I have had a rethink and have put the credit card away for a while. For a start,  I haven't built up decent sub exposure times, used calibration frames properly, or imaged from a dark site, never mind worked out how to process the data properly. I've come to the conclusion that I have only  scratched the surface of what potentially my existing set up can do.

This doesn't really answer your original question, other than to say my view is to not waste any clear sky time looking at equipment on line, see what set ups similar to yours can achieve and try and emulate that if you can.

2 minutes ago, tomato said:

An interesting thread, I think I have the trait of always thinking my imaging will get better if I buy ever more expensive kit. When I took up this hobby again after a long break I did the research and based on this and my own previous experience invested in a good mount (which I don't regret for a millisecond), imaged briefly with a DSLR and decided I needed a cooled CCD. My research  convinced me mono was the way to go but a limited budget and impatience got the better of me and I purchased a second hand Atik 314 OSC. 

Now this camera is WAY better than the DSLR and images small, relatively bright DSOs really well. Spurred on by my initial success, I have tried to image some emission nebulae and have been a bit disappointed with the results, and am looking at equipment again.

However, I have had a rethink and have put the credit card away for a while. For a start,  I haven't built up decent sub exposure times, used calibration frames properly, or imaged from a dark site, never mind worked out how to process the data properly. I've come to the conclusion that I have only  scratched the surface of what potentially my existing set up can do.

This doesn't really answer your original question, other than to say my view is to not waste any clear sky time looking at equipment on line, see what set ups similar to yours can achieve and try and emulate that if you can.

Very well said, TBH, i could't agree more, especially your third paragraph.

Fortunately i am beginning to realize my failings (better late than never :happy11:) and i WILL keep the chain on the wallet.

Archived