xx12i eyepieces

Djoksi

Hi guys.

New here, new to scopes, not quite new to astronomy.

Gigantic story short, i'm getting a Orion xx12i. Some details: spend years with 28 x 110. Got a new appartment, 2 balconies with a 360° view, have good to great skies, no street lights, low light polution. Original idea was, xx14i, ethos 13 and 21, powermate. Since the 2 inches in aperture alone costs 1000$ here in Germany, decided to go smaller, not go all in at the very beginning-meaning giving up on ethos too after reading sooo much positiv on ES for less money.

I'd like to cover all ranges, but mostly interested in DSOs. I know I will give up fast on the 2 plossls that come with the scope. My questions are, would a set like this from ES be ok: powermate*, 2" 18mm 82, 2" 14mm 100, 2" 9mm 100? Would a 24mm or a 30 mm 82 be better for low power on a 1500 scope? Would I absolutely need a coma corrector-recs? Is there some cheaper barlow as good as powermate? Of course any other good range cover EP set recommendation/personal experience is welcome, I know there are endless combinations.

Thank you very much,

Djoksi

your 14 & 18 aren't going to show a big difference in terms of TFOV, I'd possibly be tempted to ditch the 18 in favour of a 24.

a 30 will give an exit pupil of just over 6mm, so depending on your age, you may lose something from this.

I'm sure much more experienced observers will be along soon.

nice scope by the way, welcome to sgl, and I like the ES 82 range ( not experienced a 100• though)

hallo Djoksi,

yes for powermate and yes for 9 and 14mm ExSc 100 deg,deffo NO for 18mm as your 14mm 100 deg will cover it and you will not use that 18mm at all. I would suggest to get either ExSc 20mm 100 degree or ExSc 30mm 82 degree for low powers and DSo objects.After a carefull thinking,as you will be using a powermate,i would actually suggest to get the ExSc 30mm 82 degree first and add Ex Sc 20mm 100 deg at later stage.You will love it :) I had this exact set up for 14" dob and worked like a charm.

Thanks guys. 

So, so far, unanimous, ditch the 18, def. get a powermate. No nees for a 24mm? D_w_t_t, if I understand correctly, you are suggesting a go ahead on 30, 20, 14 and a 9mm. Wouldn't it be sort of exactly an overlap with a 30 and 14, or 20 and a 9 with a powermate? Sorry if it's a dumb question, not really experienced.

Yes, at f4.9 and 100 degree eyepieces, you'll probably want some sort of coma corrector.  I'd suggest starting with the GSO version which is rebranded by many resellers.  I have the OPT version and quite like it.  It doesn't squash all the coma like a Paracorr II might, but it beats it back to very manageable levels.  I couldn't find a supplier of it on your side of the pond, but I'm sure someone has it over there.

I'm not really sure why you would need a Powermate (an expensive 2" version would be needed).  I would take the same money and get a 5.5mm ES-100.

Thanks Louis,

yeah, took a quick look too, seems that finding a coma corrector here will not be an easy task.

A 5.5 mm costs less than a powermate, true. What would be your suggestion for ES EPs without a powermte? 5.5 9 14 20 and 24 or 30? I find myself thinking i'm gonna try and save some money, but at the same time still wanting quality and all ranges covered knowing that i'm in for a life time...I'm sure you were all in a similar position..

Since your scope doesn't track, you'll probably like the extra dwell time a 100 degree eyepiece affords at high power.  Thus, the 5.5mm ES-100.  You could also get by with a 4.5mm or 6.5mm Morpheus eyepiece for less money and 76 degrees.  The view might actually be sharper.  There's a 5mm Myriad with a 110 degree field that is also quite nice and more affordable.

I never asked if you have astigmatism in your dominant viewing eye.  If you do, and you need to wear eyeglasses to correct it, you'll never get to enjoy the full 100 degree field of the ES-100 line.  If that's the case, consider the Delos, XW, or Morpheus lines.  You could also consider the ES-92 line (12mm and 17mm, only).  I have very strong astigmatism and like long eye relief eyepieces.  The 12mm and 17mm Nagler T4s are quite nice.  I've yet to own a 22mm, so I can't comment there.

At 9mm, I'd also go with the ES-100 (or other equivalent like the Lunt/Myriad lines).

At 14mm, there's no alternative other than a 13mm Ethos or 12.5mm Nikon NAV HW.

At 20mm, I'd probably skip to the 30mm ES-82 because of the wider true field of view and the ease of taking in 82 over 100 degrees.  Also, large and faint nebula won't be so spread out and will thus be easier to spot.  If you need to wear glasses, you should go with the 31mm Nagler because it doesn't recess the eye lens, so you'll be able to take in the whole field of view.  They come up used every once in a while.

Ok thanks. I don't have eyesight problems. Yet ;)

So, 5.5 100, 9 100, 14 100 and 30 82  skipping everything between the last two and no barlow should get me fully covered. Even money wise, I think I could live with that.

If you ever feel the need for something between 17mm and 24mm, you can always add it later.  I find myself locating objects in either a 40mm ES-68 or 30mm ES-82 and then jumping to a 10mm to 14mm eyepiece, depending on the object.  If conditions warrant, I'll go even higher.  I didn't own anything in the 17-24mm region for years and never noticed.  Even today I rarely use them.

I thought of another reason to not use a Powermate with a 100 degree eyepiece: think about how long that combination would be in a focuser!

3 hours ago, Djoksi said:

Ok thanks. I don't have eyesight problems. Yet ;)

So, 5.5 100, 9 100, 14 100 and 30 82  skipping everything between the last two and no barlow should get me fully covered. Even money wise, I think I could live with that.

Thats close to what I use most often with my 12" F/5.3 dob:

31mm - 21mm - 13mm - 8mm - 6mm - 4.7mm

The 31mm does not get as much use as the 21mm which is my mainstay for galaxy hunting.

I don't use a coma corrector.

I own f4.8 dobs and 32mm,30mm,25mm,23mm,21mm EPs and also observe DSO. Eventhough I use the 30mm ES 82 extensively I recommend that you get a 24mm ES 82 first as this eyepiece in your scope will be very flexible with regard to sky quality, filter use and galaxy image brightness.

John gives excellent advice above.

What is your NELM?

8 hours ago, Djoksi said:

Thank you guys very much.

Jetstream,  i'd say my NELM is 5.25-5.75..

Based on the NELM I would definitely consider the 24mm ES 82. The 18mm ES 82 is a great eyepiece for pulling out the dust lanes of M31 and it still maintains a nice FOV, it is also good for "high power" filter use.

Archived