Cygnus HA mosaic experiment/WIP with different focal lengths

It seems that this area of the sky has been very popular with us widefield NB types this year! I wanted to share this WIP now as I'm unsure when I will complete it - the plan, once I'm happy with the FOV, is to go for the full HST pallette which considering UK weather and personal time constraints could take years! I'm also experimenting with using different focal lengths and stitching them together in Registar, which I have to say is certainly worth it's rather high price - thanks for the encouragement and advice Mr Penrice! :icon_biggrin:

It's worth mentioning that I need loads more data on this and have accepted that mixing FLs is not ideal due to differences in field illumination, micro-contrast and of course resolution creating problems when trying to create seamless transitions. However, using a shorter FL has enabled me to visualise and commit to my desired FOV more easily and can always be replaced with a longer FL and more panels in the future. Also, as my ultimate aim is to create a 30"x20" print, I feel that one can reach a point where chasing resolution beyond a certain level becomes non-productive and overly time consuming -  any extra detail gained will most probably not enhance the final product in any noticeable way (well, to my eyesight anyway :glasses3:).

Anyhow, here is the result so far - 6 panels with a Nikkor ED180 @ f5.6 7x1200s (central area featuring NGC7000 to NGC 6888), 1 panel with a Nikkor 135 @ f5.6 7x1200s  (NGC7000 on the left) and 2 panels with a Tamron SP90 @ f5.6 7x 1200s (right and bottom). Camera used was a QHY9m with a Baader 7nm HA filter. The plan is to re-shoot all the 135mm and 90mm panels with the 180mm when I have the time and skies, then add OIII and SII with the 90mm. Processed in PI and PS, panels aligned and scaled using Registar. I've dropped the image size by around 50% in PS, apologies if it's still a bit large file size wise.

Cygnus-Mosaic.jpg

Whilst I was at it, I thought I'd do a crop so I had something to look at that resembled a finished picture, without big black areas and jutting panels distracting the eye. It's long, thin and not very screen friendly but I quite like the framing in any case. I performed heavy linear NR using MLT and ACDNR on the 90mm panels to try and match them a little better with the 180mm captures. I also blended in some Crescent HA data from a couple of years ago that was shot with a SWED80 to give the neb a bit more definition and pop.

Cygnus-Mosaic-Cropped.jpg

As I say, WIP but wanted to share cos I'm impatient, hope you like! For now, I think they're okay if you don't view them at 100% and can put up with loads of noise :wink:

All the best and clear skies

Rich

Thanks all for your very kind words, they are very much appreciated! I think I'm going to concentrate on the cropped version for now, there might even be a brief opportunity this evening to gather some more HA...:icon_biggrin:

All the very best and clear skies

Rich

Archived