NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Elephants Trunk Nebula with DSLR

Tommohawk

Bit of fun and games with this one! I tried to get set up on the early side but couldn't see anything on the test subs. Eventually, using the Garnet Star as a marker, I discovered I was in the right place but just needed longer subs to see any detail. Lots of options for framing, so that took a while.

Guiding was a pig again. It's so long since I've been able to do any deep sky stuff (mostly due to rotten weather) I'd forgotten the problems I had last time with Dec guiding. My kit is too heavy for the counterweights, so I cant make it east heavy when imaging to the East of the meridian. The resultant RA judder isnt too bad, but this transfers into the Dec axis. If I image to the west its all good, but for some reason I never seem to image west. Need to think about that!

Anyhow, the guiding was pretty poor and by the time I'd fiddled with it for ages it was time for my malted bedtime drink. I ended up with just seven usable 8 minute subs. Condensation was also a nightmare, not helped I guess by the near vertical scope position. The secondary heater worked fine, but the guidescope heater wasnt up to it. I made a makeshift insulating collar from a Wilson wrist sweatband thing which seemed to help.

Anyhow - result is below. I found the processing pretty challenging. A bit grainy - maybe I can add some better data later.  Wouldnt mind giving this a go with my 300mm Tamron lens next time - I think a slightly wider field would look nice.

SW200PDS with SW coma corrector, Canon 550D (modded) 7x 8 minute subs, library darks/lights/offsets, DSS, PS.

16b_RGBsh_20satv3_PS_port.png

I am no expert, indeed working on this target myself as a 3 panel mosaic in Ha/O3/S2 - long project! But you've got the makings of a great image here, I simply think you need more data, the processing seems fine. Processing can be critiqued when you hit that sweet 30 subs spot.

12 hours ago, CKemu said:

I am no expert, indeed working on this target myself as a 3 panel mosaic in Ha/O3/S2 - long project! But you've got the makings of a great image here, I simply think you need more data, the processing seems fine. Processing can be critiqued when you hit that sweet 30 subs spot.

Thanks. I've seen some lovely NB images of this area so I'm sure yours will turn out well - what scope are you using for this?

14 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

Nice one Tom. I am imaging this at the moment with my 342mm focal length scope so if it is OK to post after processing, you will get an idea of what a 300mm lens will look like. Cheers, Tim.

Thanks - I'll be interested to see your end result. So many things to try, so few clear nights!

4 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Super start - star control looks to be the main improvement.  Reducing the intensity and halos would make for a tidier feel to the image. More data will help of course but good work for 7x8min.

Paddy

Yes agreed - getting the triple to look like a triple would be good! When I get more data I'll give it another go. Maybe combine some shorter subs too.

8 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Thanks. I've seen some lovely NB images of this area so I'm sure yours will turn out well - what scope are you using for this?

Thanks - I'll be interested to see your end result. So many things to try, so few clear nights!

Using a Meade LX90 8" SCT, reduced to a slightly more managable f/6.3 @ 1280mm then using my OAG for guiding. My subs are binned 1x1 8minutes for Ha and 16 minutes for SII and once the clouds part OIII as well. Did a quick test stretch/blend today - getting there!

Archived