Solar resolution with Baader film over smaller insert aperture

SteveBz

Hi Guys,

I made a full aperture solar filter for the c114eq, instead of just for the aperture of the smaller insert cap.  It gives me quite nice resolution.

I want to make a filter for the c8n, if I just make a filter for the cap (about 58mm), will I notice any degradation of resolution?  A quick play with the lambda over diameter formula (I can't remember it's name, Raleigh formula?) suggests not.

What do you think?

Regards

Steve.

• R=λ/D (wavelength over diameter)

You will get the resolution and light grasp of a 58mm aperture scope, basically. For white light solar viewing that will still give some nice views though.

Sorry that I can't comment on the maths - it's not my forte really ! :icon_scratch:

Just now, John said:

You will get the resolution and light grasp of a 58mm aperture scope, basically. For white light solar viewing that will still give some nice views though.

Sorry that I can't comment on the maths - it's not my forte really ! :icon_scratch:

Oh, the Html came out wrong.  I'm going to fix it.

3 minutes ago, John said:

That's what I guessed, but will I (or you) be able to tell the difference for an object as large as the Sun?

it all depends on the seeing, if the seeing cracking i see no difference between  using my cap filter or full aperture, but in less good conditions which is the norm full aperture wins the day by a mile and the bigger the better.  charl.

5 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

it all depends on the seeing, if the seeing cracking i see no difference between  using my cap filter or full aperture, but in less good conditions which is the norm full aperture wins the day by a mile and the bigger the better.  charl.

Ok, so maybe the answer is to use the leftover film from the c114 to make a small 58mm cap filter, and then upgrade to to a 200mm filter when I get round to it. 

The other issue with the 200mm filter is storage.  The 114mm filter already takes up a lot of space, I can't even imagine what a 200mm filter would require.  Maybe I should wait and get a properly made glass filter.  Might take up less space than a fragile baadfer film filter.

yer storage, i keep mine in the box it came in but i dont take my kit out, a tupperwear container would keep it safe, i moved to a lunt solar wedge earlyer this year ,a big step forward for me, thay dont work with mirrored scopes only refractors i use mine with a ed80 and sw 120mm f5 and AR127l f9.5, it gives amazing views and images.  charl.

The main issue with reflectors is that the build up of heat on the secondary can shatter it, especially with fast primary mirrors, like my F/2 primary in the SCT. I have used a slow  (F/8) Newtonian in EP projection mode, and checked that the secondary only ever became lukewarm. Solar Newtonians use a non-silvered mirror which keeps levels safe for the secondary. All other reflectors need a way to keep the light and heat levels low, so Baader film or the like is the only solution. I personally prefer full-aperture filters to sub-aperture.

2 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The main issue with reflectors is that the build up of heat on the secondary can shatter it, especially with fast primary mirrors, like my F/2 primary in the SCT. I have used a slow  (F/8) Newtonian in EP projection mode, and checked that the secondary only ever became lukewarm. Solar Newtonians use a non-silvered mirror which keeps levels safe for the secondary. All other reflectors need a way to keep the light and heat levels low, so Baader film or the like is the only solution. I personally prefer full-aperture filters to sub-aperture.

Hi Michael,

Nice answer.  Do you have a thermostat on the secondary?  How do you monitor the heat buildup?

I imagined that the full aperture would be nicer, and I'll probably go that way in the fullness of time.  I'm now finding that storage is a major issue with two fully erected Newtonians in the garage and a dish on the lawn, I really need to start pushing in the other direction, unless I'm going to invest in a permanent second residence!!!!

Steve.

33 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Hi Michael,

Nice answer.  Do you have a thermostat on the secondary?  How do you monitor the heat buildup?

I imagined that the full aperture would be nicer, and I'll probably go that way in the fullness of time.  I'm now finding that storage is a major issue with two fully erected Newtonians in the garage and a dish on the lawn, I really need to start pushing in the other direction, unless I'm going to invest in a permanent second residence!!!!

Steve.

The Newtonian I had was a home made 6" F/8 on alt-az mount (we are talking 1979 here), and I just felt the side of the secondary

Archived