Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Pro V.S Skymaster 15x70

trailogy

Hello, I just got a pair of Skymaster 15x70 pro and was looking on Celestron's website to see what the different was of the non pro. I then saw the price difference (about 120$!) and thought maybe the lens. Anyways just wanted to see if anyone knew the difference.

There does not seem to be much consumer info out there at the moment, but looking at the specs and photos side by side, there are some differences. They look to have better coatings, and the prism housings look different (better?) It would be nice to think they were full 70mm binos not reduced like the non-pro skymasters, but until someone does an in depth review we'll have to wait to find out. It will be interesting to know how you find them.

4 hours ago, Alfian said:

There does not seem to be much consumer info out there at the moment, but looking at the specs and photos side by side, there are some differences. They look to have better coatings, and the prism housings look different (better?) It would be nice to think they were full 70mm binos not reduced like the non-pro skymasters, but until someone does an in depth review we'll have to wait to find out. It will be interesting to know how you find them.

Hi. I just put the two webpages side by side to and the differences you pointed out look like they are true. I also just measured it and it is a full 70mm. It also looks more durable to me from what I have seen in the pictures. 

On 8/31/2016 at 00:42, trailogy said:

Hi. I just put the two webpages side by side to and the differences you pointed out look like they are true. I also just measured it and it is a full 70mm. It also looks more durable to me from what I have seen in the pictures. 

How did you measure it? Just measuring the front lens diameter won't work, because undersized prisms and internal baffles reduces the effective diameter. A good guide on doing the measurement is here:

http://binocularsky.com/binoc_aperture.php

4 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

How did you measure it? Just measuring the front lens diameter won't work, because undersized prisms and internal baffles reduces the effective diameter. A good guide on doing the measurement is here:

http://binocularsky.com/binoc_aperture.php

Hi, I used the light method where you shine the light through the optic and comes of the objective lens. I did this with some slide calipers and with multiple tests got 70mm with maybe half a mm less on some of the tests. Measuring the front lense without the light meathode is actually 72mm for me. 

1 minute ago, trailogy said:

Hi, I used the light method where you shine the light through the optic and comes of the objective lens. I did this with some slide calipers and with multiple tests got 70mm with maybe half a mm less on some of the tests. Measuring the front lense without the light meathode is actually 72mm for me. 

Interesting to hear that. It does suggest the pro model has better prisms

Archived