Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some old Messiers in backyard

YKSE

Got some clear hours late last night. With the neighboring houses blocking most of the lower target. I decided to try binoviewer on Messiers which was high up.

C8 was equipped with 1.25" prism diagonal and 1.25x GPC (which give 1.23x mounted in front of diagonal), 25mm pair gives 109x and 18mm pair gives 149x.

Seeing: not so good, 2/5

Trasparency: good, 4/5, SQM 18.7-18.9, MW visible barely.

M13: Much better than in mono, even in only 109x,  stars popping out in a nicer way, I almost felt that I could see the hint of propeller in 149x.

M92: Again, many stars nicely resolved.

M56: Very good, a couple of stars better resovled than mono.

M57: Excellent , the ring looked larger and contrast comparable to mono with OIII filter.

M27: Just as M57, larger size and good contrast.

M29 and M71: about the same as in mono, not so impressive due to their sizes

M39: better than mono.

The much more relax viewing and two eyes give a nice boost in observing, stray light from surroundings didn't see to bother as much either.:smiley:

Binoviewing though the old Messiers in backyard seem to be an excellent project now:smiley:

7 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Nice report, Yong - messiers via binoviewing does sound like an interesting project.  I wonder what the Ring and Dumbell would look like binoviewed with OIII filters?

Paul

Hi Paul, I have tried using an OIII/UHC with binoviewers and the results are interesting (generally not good). They do work on brighter targets like this but the whole system is affected by the "false exit pupil" theory I believe, in other words too dim. With the Veil I can just see it using the 32mm TV plossls/filters- I believe that a much larger than normal exit pupil might be required, but my results so far havn't inspired me to keep pursuing this. I will try again with the little 200mm f3.8/OIII/32mm TV's.

On 2016-08-26 at 11:23, FenlandPaul said:

Nice report, Yong - messiers via binoviewing does sound like an interesting project.  I wonder what the Ring and Dumbell would look like binoviewed with OIII filters?

Paul

I tried OIII with binoviewer tonight, there's no improvement than without, the Ring got dimmer.

Archived