Heart nebula - two weeks trying.

Stub Mandrel

Most images of the Heart nebula on the web seem to lean heavily on a Ha layer that pulls the nebula out very strongly and makes background stars and the light of the milky way disappear. My one shot images are much starrier and I have spent two weeks trying to get a good result from what is also rather noisy data due to lack of subs (only 30).

In the end this final result is three different approaches to processing blended together. Clearly more subs at 800ISO should give me better results. If nothing else it proves my home made GOTO box can point the scope dead on target, this was a slew all the way from Deneb.

Heart Nebula.png

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Most images of the Heart nebula on the web seem to lean heavily on a Ha layer that pulls the nebula out very strongly and makes background stars and the light of the milky way disappear.

Good shot and +1 for keeping the stars. That's what it actually looks like:) Too late a riser for me ATM but on my todo list. Cheers and clear skies. 

8 hours ago, wimvb said:

Your GOTO box seems to work great. STars are round and look good. The Ha regions look very harsh IMO. Was this taken with a modded or unmodded camera?

A modded 450D, but it has been really hard to pull out the Ha, I need more data...

Hi. A deep red filter will attenuate the stars (if we really must) and highlight the nebula. You can add a short exposure layer without the filter or just process black and white. Not the same target but I tried it with this. The filter has number 25a. HTH and clear skies.

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi. A deep red filter will attenuate the stars (if we really must) and highlight the nebula. You can add a short exposure layer without the filter or just process black and white. Not the same target but I tried it with this. The filter has number 25a. HTH and clear skies.

I have one somewhere, I bought it as a 'poor man's Ha filter but haven't tried it yet, your pic gives me encouragement to find it.

30 minutes ago, alacant said:

One thing to bear in mind is that it'll need double the exposure. Longer snaps or a large aperture telescope anyway. HTH.

Yep, no problem.

But it's 49mm which is a problem, it means the OD is just too big for A 2" focuser! I can try it with my 135mm lens and that's f3.5 so no lack of light gathering ability.

On 26/8/2016 at 19:43, Stub Mandrel said:

But it's 49mm which is a problem

OTOH, I'm guessing that a member with a nik such as yours would have no problem taking a few thou off the circumference of a filter ring!

8 hours ago, Adam J said:

You could combine a deep red filter #29 an IR cut filter. But it would be better to save for something like the 35nm wide Baader H-alpha, its designed for the job.

I'll need guiding before I can go to using h-alpha, plus if I could afford an H-alpha filter I'd buy a better camera instead!

Archived