Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filters for visual observing

DRT

lol!

It would be great to look through a good 2" Hb like yours...:grin:

My 1.25" Astronomik Hb does show a bunch of targets well though and was well worth the purchase. Once my little nebula grabber gets here I'll test things out some more- a good filter "captures" your attention in dark skies I find.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2016 at 12:26, DRT said:

I have been looking into buying an H-beta filter to have a go at the Horsehead nebula and have a question about quality that I hope will elicit answers more helpful than "just buy the most expensive one" :smile:

H-beta filters seem to range in price from the Skywatcher 1.25" at around £28 to the Astranomik at £73 and the Baader at £89 and presumably upwards from there.

For imaging I can definitely understand why going for very high quality filters would improve your chances of bringing out the best from your telescope, camera and processing abilities - but my question is, how much difference would I see with my eye between the relatively inexpensive SW filter and the more expensive alternatives?

H-Beta filters work better the narrower the bandwidth.  But H-Beta is not a photographic filter, it is a visual filter.

All nebulae that emit hydrogen alpha energy also emit hydrogen beta energy at a substantially reduced level.

So a hydrogen alpha filter will record more nebula a lot faster than using a hydrogen beta filter.

Unfortunately for us, our eyes are particularly insensitive to the deep red wavelength of hydrogen alpha, so that is not a useful visual filter.

But our eyes are particularly sensitive to the 486nm blue wavelength of hydrogen beta, making it an excellent visual filter.

8 nanometers of wavelength seems to be ideal, but I have seen several inexpensive ones of up to 12nm bandwidths.  If wider than that, it wouldn't be very useful to enhance contrast on the already quite dim

hydrogen beat emission.

Archived