Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flipping image 180 degrees?

I am looking for help with flipping a set of light FITS images 180 degrees. After taking a set of lights I had to re-slew to the target due to the target being high near the zenith and there being a risk of the CCD hitting my mount (I have slew limits so it would not actually hit but). I would have performed a meridian flip in SGP but as I had not done that before I thought I would just manually slew.

Anyway as expected the new lights that came out were back to front. If I flip the image in SGP then I get the desired result. This of course is just visual so I need a program to do the actual software change. I have tried SIPS (Moravians bundled package) which flips it but if I open SGP afterwards it still shows the previous unflipped image? I have also tried FITS Librator, DSS and Registar and I still cannot get the desired result. How can I resolve this? The main issue is that they are FITS files so cannot I use most other programs like PShop.

All I can think of is stack the two bundles separately and then save them as TIFFS. Then flip them afterwards and try and realign say using Registar?

Surely there must be a way of doing this before a stack?

Please can anyone assist with this?

Many Thanks.

Running the camera 180 degrees rotated after the meridian flip does not give a flipped image, it gives a rotated one. I'm not being pedantic here because software makes a clear distinction between 'rotate image' and 'flip image.' Your pre-and post-flip images are rotated relative to each other. Most stacking software can handle that. Registar can too, by the way. But a flipped image (which can be 'flipped horizontal' or 'flipped vertical' is, as it were, turned iside out.

Olly

Okay so I am impressed. Just added all of the files in DSS and a neatly stacked image of the Western Veil came out.
No sign of the inverted image from the other light frames.
DSS did report all files on the Stack so I assume it has indeed stacked the frames. How on Earth it knows how to work this out is beyond me, clever algorithms I suspect...

Reminds me of the coin counting machines you find in the Supermarkets. Jump dump your pictures in and it does all the hard work for you. :icon_biggrin:

Archived