Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Problems with My Nexstar 8 SE

I have a used Nexstar 8 SE that I purchased a couple of months ago, and I'm having some challenges.  Not sure if there's an actual problem, or if its me (entirely possible) so I'd like to get some advice.  I haven't been able to use it for a few weeks now as it is the height of summer and monsoon season here in Arizona, so its either been too blazing hot at night (some nights over 100 even after sunset!) or its been cloudy or humid at night.   But once the summer winds down, I'm looking forward to getting back outside again and trying to get some successes with the goto.  So far, I've gotten some really nice views of the planets and the moon, but usually only by manually slewing to them.   Here are my issues:

1. Alignment

I can do a planetary align with the handset and the telescope will usually align and work OK (well, close enough) with that, but I also got a wifi adapter for Father's Day and when I try to use that with the SkyPortal app on an iPad Mini, every time I go through the alignment process it fails.  This is where I think (actually hope) its me and not the equipment.  I may just need to practice more (although I've probably spent three or more solid, frustrating hours over several nights trying again and again).  The telescope is level and powered with an AC adapter.  I've only tried in my backyard so far, where my view of the sky is somewhat hampered by the house, trees and light pollution from Phoenix, so I've been limited to using the moon, Saturn, Mars and Jupiter as my alignment objects.  One thing I thought of, and also saw suggested here, is that I might need a reticle eyepiece for aligning.   Advice and suggestions welcome.

2. Slewing Concern

While using the hand controller, I've noticed at the lower slewing speeds there is a noticeable delay when I push a button to when the motor starts and the OTA actually moves.  In at least one direction, the OTA will "jump" at first and then continue to move more smoothly.  I don't recall at the moment which axis this occurs on.  I'm concerned I may have a motor or gear problem, but would appreciate any thoughts on that, and any suggestions on fixing it if there is one.

The two issues combined together are making me worry that I may have a problem with the mount, either mechanically, logically, or both.  It almost seems to me like the mount is not communicating its coordinates correctly back to the software when I use the wifi app.  Is that even possible?

3. Focuser

My final issue, which is not a big deal at all, is the focuser knob.  When turning it, it seems to have a range of motion that is smooth, and one point were it feels like its rubbing on something.  It's very subtle and really only noticeable when fine-tuning the focus.  I can almost imagine that if feels like I'm running into a small spot of dust or dirt.  Should I be concerned about that?  It really doesn't impact observing, other than making focusing a little less smooth than I'd like.

Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions!

Welcome to the mysteries not of the Universe but of technology ....

The nexstar 8 has a good reputation . I would first learn to do an 'auto 2 star alignment' as per this fine description-

https://youtu.be/qjoQdruBkGc

I doubt the scope should jump when slewing....

I'd avoid using wifi and computers to assess how well it works...adding more computer technology on computer technology confuses your assessment.

I find the accuracy of the scope improves as the night gets darker . Initially it may be slightly off...

good luck...

The alignment via WiFi often does fail.  Very frustrating.  Maybe using a higher powered eyepiece would line the objects up better, but I've gone off using WiFi, and prefer to use the regular alignment and GoTo methods.

Solar (one planet) is supposed to be good.  Two named stars is easy.  I often just use one bright star, and this seems to be OK, especially if I'm looking in the region near to that star.

And make sure the lat/long and date/time are entered accurately.

Good luck!

Doug.

Archived