Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CP2102-based EQdirect quirky with USB-Hub

freiform

Hi, 

I just build myself a EQdirect USB adapter using a small CP2102-based board. If I connect it using a 10m (!) USB extension, it works fine. Using my USB-Hub (DLink), I get some sort of lag, EQmod is unresponsive and hangs. Any ideas what might be going on or how to fix this? Or is the chip just not getting along with my hub? 

Sven

As that device is just a USB to serial converter, the cable is able to supply enough volts\power to the device, so I suspect that the hub is unpowered\does not have enough power left after using the power to drive the hub circuitry...

I just pulled the power supply off the hub, and Eqmod works fine. So I suppose that maybe there's some interference here. Or the voltages of the USB hub and the host not properly separated. Interesting..

If there is a long'ish distance between the PC power connection & the Hub's power connection, there may be grounding issues, which would introduce interference on the signal lines, and\or depending on the make of the hub\hub PSU, the supplied voltage is 'dirty' due to insufficient filtering of the output voltage...

Archived