NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

program for 32-bit stretches

I have Photoshop CS2 and it won't open 32-bit files from DSS.

I've worked out that files made by stacking 64 14-bit images form my Canon 450D need 20 bits so as not to lose any data.

I part get round this by applying a pre-stretch in DSS, but it is a very crude approach.

is there a simple recommended program that will read a 32-bit TIFF from DSS and let me stretch it with a good histogram view, before converting to 16-bit for editing?

Ah! I understood that GIMP was only 8 bit!

But good news, I spent ages playing with sliders in DSS and got good results at last (it likes to draw black rings in stars if you over do it) and the resulting image was much lower noise when put through PS.

Bad news, Astra will open 32-bit tiffs but they do NOT look at all like the image I expect :-(

Ok, these two 16-bit images haven't been stretched by identical amounts - the first one is lighter, but I think you can see that the one with an more aggressive pre-stretch as a 32-bit image in DSS is far lower noise.

Stetched as 16 bit.png

LUM stretched as 32 bit.png

34 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Ah! I understood that GIMP was only 8 bit!

And so it was for years & years, but finally ! it can now do a few more bits :)

The 'stable' version 2.8 is only 8bit,  but the 2.9.x versions can do the clever bits with the usual warnings that there may be bugs.

20 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

And so it was for years & years, but finally ! it can now do a few more bits :)

The 'stable' version 2.8 is only 8bit,  but the 2.9.x versions can do the clever bits with the usual warnings that there may be bugs.

I don't like torrent downloads, but I may try out GIMP once the higher bit-count version becomes stable.

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't like torrent downloads, but I may try out GIMP once the higher bit-count version becomes stable.

errr torrent ? didnt get mine that way, but mine was for Windows 32bit OS, cant say what downloads there are for Win64 and other OS.

dont worry about "non-stable", 2.9 has been through 3 versions (maybe more by now) without anything dramatic not working/happening and anyway just need to keep original versions of your data safe ! and its free :)

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

my daughter tried

soon.

I defer to a higher power, if she cant , , , :hello::)

It seems I was wrong to call it "non-stable",,,  "experimental" and "pre-2.10" are being used in proper places :) and 2.9.5 is in circulation already !!  If you do feel the urge then Partha  (well regarded) has Win64 versions here http://www.partha.com/   including a portable version

I found GIMP 2.9 unstable on my computer. It was slow and crashed repeatedly. But that may of course be computer related.

Otherwise, I love the 8 bit version for photo editing.

As for (free) software, if you aren't mathematically challenged you may try IRIS (http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/iris/iris.htm ).

It's free and can do various processing steps, but has a very poor user interface IMO.

My experiences with GIMP 2.9 and IRIS made the decision to invest in PixInsight an easy one.

14 hours ago, wimvb said:

My experiences with GIMP 2.9 and IRIS made the decision to invest in PixInsight an easy one.

I must admit that the the Pixinsight website suggests the use of layers is for 'painting drawing and retouching' which means 'you should ask yourself if trying to do astrophotography that way is really worth the effort' deeply patronising, if not a little insulting.

On 02/08/2016 at 08:29, Stub Mandrel said:

brutalist architecture!

:laughing4: you do realise that its architecture is inherited from the linux/unix encampments ?:D ,,,  I must remember 'brutalist'

14 hours ago, wimvb said:

GIMP  /  has a very poor user interface IMO

My experiences with GIMP 2.9 and IRIS

It is my suspicion that IRIS was conceived in order to make gimp feel friendly (and less brutalist !) :)

Yes I agree ! but the IRIS "Slice" and photometry tools are very nice ( as is the whole thing once you get used to the precipitous learning curve :)

Archived